Electrolysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I recently was able to find a hand plane that belonged to my father. I guess it is just a "knock off" since it doesn't have any name on it, just "Made in USA" on it. The plane was rather rusty, etc. So I decided to try and clean it up. Even if it didn't work good at least it would look better and it did belong to my father. So I tried the Electrolysis process for the first time.

Here is a before photo.

And here is an after photo.

The electrolysis worked great even without Roger's (Sapwood) special hat.:lol:

Now I have to get the blade sharp so I can give it a try.

T

toolferone

Looks great! Don't you know that clean and pretty tools work and cut better. Nice job, I know it makes you feel good.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Now you have a plane that looks good, has lots of sentimental value, and you get to test what you learned in sharpening class!!

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Where did you take or send it to do this?
Jim in Mayberry

Jim, if this question is directed to me, the answer is...... I did the process outside my workshop door, in the yard. You do not want to do it inside without good ventilation. It actually is a very simple process.

rick7938

New User
Rick
That really does look nice, Dolan. I have recently gotten some of my Grandad's of planes. I was going to try electrolysis on them, but someone on the board suggested WD-40 and Scotchbrite pads. I have been using kerosene, WD-40, Scotchbrite pads and a lot of elbow grease, and they are looking pretty good. I hope to post an "after" picture shortly. I don't have any "before" pictures because our camera in on the blink.

Great job.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I recently was able to find a hand plane that belonged to my father. I guess it is just a "knock off" since it doesn't have any name on it, just "Made in USA" on it. The plane was rather rusty, etc. So I decided to try and clean it up. Even if it didn't work good at least it would look better and it did belong to my father. So I tried the Electrolysis process for the first time.

The electrolysis worked great even without Roger's (Sapwood) special hat.:lol:

Now I have to get the blade sharp so I can give it a try.
One question, did the Electrolysis make those totes look so good:rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS