Either New Shop or Great Wife Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
More congratulations! It's still a someday thing for me, though right now the wife is helping me rearrange the garage to get better use of what little space I have. Besides the physical help with organizing, it also means that cabinets, drawers, etc are joint decisions "for the house" and not just "hobby stuff".

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
More congratulations! It's still a someday thing for me, though right now the wife is helping me rearrange the garage to get better use of what little space I have. Besides the physical help with organizing, it also means that cabinets, drawers, etc are joint decisions "for the house" and not just "hobby stuff".

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just realized that Elvis has left the building:gar-La;

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just realized that Elvis has left the building:gar-La;

Elvis never left the building...

elvis_in_duct_tape.jpg

See - it's true - you can do anything with duct tape; thank you very much. :rolf:

The other Elvis picture was me on Halloween. I won 1st place in "creepiest costume" at work and after seeing it in a few posts I understood why. I gotta avoid the donuts so I don't look like Elvis does now too soon.

Outa Square

New User
Al
Well i am one step closer...

Today at lunch i pulled my permits and ate a sandwich but not at the same time.

Tonight i will finalize my plans. I have made some design changes. i am looking a less of a pitch and 10' celling. I am looking at installing windows on the south wall, but up high to take advantage of solar gain. the eve overhang will limit the gain to the winter due to the elevation. This is a sketch-up drawing i did. this is close... i have a model with the framing at the house. I like sketch-up.:gar-La;

Tomorrow i am taking a vacation day and i will be disposing of the tree i removed and ordering the bulk of my materials.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks good, Al.
And I like the changes you have implemented. When I bought my "pre-built" shop I failed to notice that the roof overhang was only about 2" :BangHead:
The larger overhang will serve you well in lots of ways :icon_thum

Roger

Outa Square

New User
Al
Well after three days... i realized that it gets dark way earlier then i thought. :no:

I got all of my piers finished and i will start working on the floor system Wednesday. Between now and then i need to get some tie downs like they use for mobile homes. I also need to decide if i am going to splurge and purchase rafter truss or if i'll build them myself... i am leaning toward a ridge board and common rafter system as i am working by myself. It's just easier than trying to plan around my hectic schedule.

I'll try to post pictures of the progress so i can prove it happened.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Al, I've done it both ways (built my own versus bought truss-plant trusses). The one's that I built were for a 30' span (building was 30 x 40). I used 1/2" plywood for the gusset plates, and glued and nailed them on both sides.

From a cost perspective, you can usually buy trusses for not much more than the cost of the materials.

From a time perspective, building your own will add some time to your project. However, for a 14' span you could probably use a single board across the bottom, and they could probably be built fairly quickly. My 30 footers took me three weekends to build, and in retrospect I would purchase pre-made ones today if for no other reason to shorten up the total project timeframe.

If it were me, I'd get prices from a couple of different truss companies, and then compare the material costs with what you can do yourself, and then ask yourself if the time savings is worth it. The last set of trusses that I purchased had a 25% difference between prices between different truss companies. Here in the Raleigh area, Stock Builders Supply had the best deal.

Good luck, and congrats on your progress so far!

Scott

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
There is a trade off for saving time on your roof system. Trusses are quicker but, with the truss webs, you will cut down on your available storage space. Common framing allows you to frame an area for a loft space buy using knee walls and a collar tie. Of course, you can order trusses in any configuration but you lose the advntage of speed.

alleng

New User
allen
i built my shop on a slab. 32x32.it looked enoremous when i built it, but it is way too small. i wish it was at least 40x60. mabie i just have too much stuff. i use it for wwing,mechanic shop,and just a place to hang out. probly more time out there than in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors