Egg-beater drill serendipity

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Several years ago I bought a nice Millers Falls hand drill at an estate sale. Previously I drilled holes with a pistol-grip tool and usually the holes were slanted one way or the other. Now, I use the hand drill almost exclusively especially for pilot holes. With the hand drill, getting the hole perpendicular is darn near automatic for me which was a pleasant realization.
4D6CD457-F136-41A1-A760-9AB7CC5A532B.jpeg

I stow the drill and bits within reach of when I work at my high vise.
4183ED7E-398C-4A9E-B4AE-48D9FA88AE49.jpeg

Richo B

New User
Richo
A beautiful tool. I have the smaller Millers Falls drill that I use exclusively for pilot holes. Until recently I didn't realize I had the smaller version, I thought it was the standard size. I also have the North Brothers Yankee Handyman 1545 and very similar 1555 Chest Drill. One day I'll find the larger version like you have. Very fun tools to use.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I like the way you have it set up near your vise, quick and easy to use.

I think all my hand powered drills are due for a class reunion photo…

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I like the way you have it set up near your vise, quick and easy to use.

I think all my hand powered drills are due for a class reunion photo…
One task that the hand drill is poor at is enlarging a shank hole to a clearance hole. At least with a twist drill. Maybe I should try the bits in the hollow handle with the straight flute that I have never used.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Tried one of the straight-flute bits that came with the drill and it works. The shank hole can be enlarged easily whereas a normal spiral-flute bit gets sucked into the shank hole and stalls the drill.

Asked Dr. Google for a bit source but mainly found industrial carbide bits. Anyone know of a source for the ordinary steel straight flute bit usually used in egg beater drills?
D7FAE19E-31D2-44B2-9D29-9A14B6651C1C.jpeg

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tried one of the straight-flute bits that came with the drill and it works. The shank hole can be enlarged easily whereas a normal spiral-flute bit gets sucked into the shank hole and stalls the drill.

Asked Dr. Google for a bit source but mainly found industrial carbide bits. Anyone know of a source for the ordinary steel straight flute bit usually used in egg beater drills?
I think you will only find this in the antique / used hand-tool market...
I could be wrong.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member

View attachment 214928

The solution was dead simple: Use a brad-point bit to enlarge a shank hole to a clearance hole. The countersink centers the bit and the brad-point bit does not grab the side of the hole like a normal twist bit does.
IMG_3394.jpeg

For my convenience, I added the corresponding brad-point bit behind each drill/countersink in the storage rack next to my egg-beater drill.
IMG_3397.jpeg

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a drill that works the same way but is much newer. I bought it several decades ago, however. It has a normal chuck and I use normal twist drills in it. It came in extremely handy when I was mounting the transducer on my pontoon boat. I had it delivered to the lake I live on and I did not get a trailer. So it stays in the lake. That makes mounting the transducer for the fish finder a bit difficult. I turned it around so the stern was in shallow water and drilled the holes with my hand drill, under water. Worked fine but I had to position the drill largely by feel. In the shop I just use one of several battery powered drills.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The solution was dead simple: Use a brad-point bit to enlarge a shank hole to a clearance hole. The countersink centers the bit and the brad-point bit does not grab the side of the hole like a normal twist bit does.
View attachment 214969

For my convenience, I added the corresponding brad-point bit behind each drill/countersink in the storage rack next to my egg-beater drill.
View attachment 214970
You should be able to find straight fluted drills in much smaller sizes by looking for Yankee Drill bits. I see the drills from time to time in antique shops and flea markets but they never seem to have all the bits (stored in the handle).

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
a photo of my little jewel of a jeweler's drill, when I'm working on my 1890's ship models it's neat to think thats it's from the same period...
Kind of a ”beauty shot”!!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors