Ed Moulthrop Turned Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes.

I have a Tulipwood bowl made by Ed Moulthrop. I am thinking about selling it.
However, as you can see from the photos, it has several radial cracks and some serious finish failures. I am not sure if I should think about finding someone to conserve it before selling or if that will make enough financial difference to pursue. Has anyone got any ideas on what repairing this would entail?

I thought I would ask the members here if anyone has any thoughts on how best to sell this. EBAY is not really an option due to paypal. Craigslist maybe? See if any gallery would take it on consignment? Auction house?
Some sort of Turner's online venue?

I would be grateful for any and all input on this.

Figuring out an asking price seems to be one of the many hurdles in this process.

Here are some bad pictures:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
From my understanding on antiques you should leave it alone and let the piece go as is - If this bowl is turned from a famous turner I would think the same would go for it as well - I could be wrong - But if I was going after an original piece then I would not want the piece altered in anyway MTCW:dontknow:

jayhay

New User
Jay
I agree that it shouldnt be altered in any way. I learned that the hard way on a piece of furniture I refinished and the value when to the pits>

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I wouldn't touch it if you're thinking about selling it. If you want to keep it and just want it to look better, you could try and restore it. I think lots of folks use sawdust (from the same wood) mixed with epoxy to fill cracks. Then sand the whole thing and refinish. HTH

Trent

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks like a classic to me. I wouldn't change anything about it:nah:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bet you'd sell it for $32,200:rotflm: too
If you look at the date of that auction you'll realize that economic events occuring since it was sold have caused the antique market to tank. A certain amount of 'decimal creep' has taken place on these items as well as buyers' portfolios. Whoever paid that for that bowl would probably be glad to get half that back out of it. Nonetheless, I'd hold onto the bowl you've got Mark. It'll be a lot more valuabe in a few more years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS