ECO air station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
ECO meter and stand - 2550 or BO on eBay.jpg

I've always wanted one of these old 50's style air stations to put outside my shop. I'm trying to make the front of the shop resemble an old service station. The price how-ever, of one of these in working or even restorable condition run from $500 to $2500! Not in the budget. BUT the latest Winfield Collection catalog had a pattern and all the necessary parts to make a replica out o wood. I bought the pattern ($12.95) and the decal set ($7.95). The wood was all scraps from previous projects: 2x4's and 1x4's. I bought a lamp base for the inside light and a couple different wattage bulbs to try. All in all with the pattern, parts and paints, I probably have about $35 in total. A heckuva lot cheaper then $500-2500!!
Front trim in cherry.jpg
One of the things the pattern used was 1/4" plywood for the trim pieces. I opted to use some solid cherry 1/4" stock i had left over because of the solid side and no plywood layers to deal with when painting. The chrome paint I found from DupliColor (Universal Chrome) is one of the best chrome paints I ever used I think. I also used their Flame Red paint for the rest of the body parts. Since it's wood I used ACE sandable primer. For the chrome I used black primer and for the red I used the redder primer for automotive use. I have more pics from the build but they're not available on the netbook I'm using right now. How-ever, I took the finished pics tonight on my digital and had them on an SD card so here they are.
air station 1.JPG air station 2.JPG air station 3.JPG

I illuminated it with a 4 watt bulb but think I need soemthing brighter like a 7 watt. The quick release connecter in not functional right now because I need to pick up a short brass nipple to be able to connect it to the existing air manifold of the shop to make it 'functional'. The numbers won't be functional but the unit will be able to supply air to the hose I plan to put on it.

It a nice patter and I would recommend it for any other motor head / wood worker looking to have one for the same purpose as mine.
Pop

Glennbear

Glenn
That is soooooooooooooo cool !! An outside hose is on my short project list, I guess the installation for me just got more involved LOL

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
That is waaayyyyyyy cool, and great job. I remember those air stations and I also remember getting fussed at for playing with the one at Fosters Service Station, across the road from grand-paw's. It would be neat to have one of those, but at those prices? :nah:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Now that is pretty slick! I have a friend that would love one of those! Thanks for sharing this.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
As always, great woodworking Mike! I can still hear the bell ringing at my Paw Paw's Sunoco station.

llucas

luke
Senior User
What a great shop addition!!! Yep, I remember working in a "full-service" station as a teenager, and pumping air for the ladies...when gas was $0.29/gal with "gas wars" taking it down to $0.16 on occasion. Thanks for resurrecting the old memories!

Glennbear

Glenn
If you get them in the proper format to work with Mike, I for one would love more pictures particularly how you worked out the illumination aspect. Is the decal applied to glass/plastic ?

MagGeorge

New User
George
Totally cool project! A great addition to the shop, gives a great retro feel. Very creative build and like the striking red color. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS