Eastern White Pine Siding issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Hey all-

In preparation for my addition, I've replaced a few boards of siding on my house, which is bevel Eastern White Pine. I've stained the boards to match with a blue solid color Sherwin Williams exterior stain. A couple weeks after applying the stain I have noticed where the knots are the stain had been discolored slightly, to a more brownish hue. Anybody ever experienced this and have suggestions on how to remedy it? I've applied a 2nd coat over the spots, but they have shown up again.

Thanks

~JEff

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
The knots will soak up stain and paint like a sponge. Albeit a little aggravating, continue to stain the knots and wait. Once the knots have had their "fill", they will hold the color.

There are methods to prevent this kind of thing but since you're already knee deep, just tend the knots.

danw

New User
dan
The only way to get rid of the bleeding is to either put an oil based kilz or shellac on the spots, let dry, and recoat. I am a professional painter. Dealt with this numerous times.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
The only way to get rid of the bleeding is to either put an oil based kilz or shellac on the spots, let dry, and recoat. I am a professional painter. Dealt with this numerous times.

Will I be able to stain over the kilz without issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS