Dye

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I used some dye I got from Klingspor on a couple of projects. "Me likey" But, very expensive even though a drop goes a long way. Just saw a comment on using leather dye. About 1/3 the price. Anyone tried this?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Leather dye, cloth dye will work as well. With that said the color fastness could come into question. It’s worth playing with, I’m planning on messing around with some cloth dye. I just haven’t had time yet.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I have used rubber stamp refill ink, black, before on a walnut picture frame. The frame was going over an old type set tray and I needed it to look kinda like it was handled by ink stained hands like in a print shop.shot a few coats of clear Laquer over it and it can out nicely for a first time use. Not many color options though. It was subtle but made a difference especially on the sides.

Attachments

• IMG_5739.jpg
    IMG_5739.jpg
    804.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220915_163948.jpg
    20220915_163948.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I bought a bunch of Easter egg dye on sale after Easter on year. Figured it would be foodsafe.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Transtint and Transfast both are are available in larger quantities directly from Homestead Finishing. Both products are really concentrated and make a pretty impressive quantity of dye, I typically find myself diluting the already diluted base dye.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
What about India inks?
I am not sure what the base is (alcohol or ??)

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Was also watching something on enobizing using some funky high tanic acid tea and iron/vinigar.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought some India Ink recently and the base is shellac.
Actually shellac was added as a medium, it makes a little more durable and somewhat water proof. You can also add other mediums to make it water proof and more durable. But most India inks are water and soot.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I dont know about other brands, but I prefer Speedball India Ink because it's just carbon black in water. Carbon black is chemically different than soot (it's actually anthracitic carbon, not under-burnt hydrocarbons). It's worth the extra $ to work with a chemically inert, pH neutral coating.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Actually shellac was added as a medium, it makes a little more durable and somewhat water proof. You can also add other mediums to make it water proof and more durable. But most India inks are water and soot.
I don't get it - if India Ink is water based, why does it seem so "permanent"?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
For some of my scroll saw work I have had good success with RIT fabric dye dissolved in DNA when used on baltic birch plywood. Soak time is usually 5 -10 minutes. The longer the soak the deeper the color. After the dye dries I over spray with poly. I have not attempted this process on solid woods.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I dont know about other brands, but I prefer Speedball India Ink because it's just carbon black in water. Carbon black is chemically different than soot (it's actually anthracitic carbon, not under-burnt hydrocarbons). It's worth the extra $ to work with a chemically inert, pH neutral coating.
I have a bottle of Speedball Super Black, and it contains shellac.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Basic India ink is composed of a variety of fine soot, known as lampblack, combined with water to form a liquid. No binder material is necessary: the carbon molecules are in colloidal suspension and form a waterproof layer after drying. A binding agent such as gelatin or, more commonly, shellac may be added to make the ink more durable once dried. India ink is commonly sold in bottled form, as well as a solid form as an inkstick (most commonly, a stick), which must be ground and mixed with water before use. If a binder is used, India ink may be waterproof or non-waterproof.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS