Dust Control for Bosch 4000 Table Saw and Improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I have a Bosch 4000 table saw that has met my needs for over ten years. I am very aware this not a premier TS, but at the time it was purchased I did not know the features to look for in a good table saw.

Now I realize the importance of dust control and I have sealed the bottom of the saw cabinet with plywood and also connected the saw to my shop vacuum with a Dust Deputy (my first attempt at dust control) between the saw and vacuum. This arrangement has provided a small degree of dust control, but a large amount of dust continues to gather around the front of the saw.

My plans are to install a system similar to
this system described in great detail by Bas. In the interim I would like to improve dust control and improve the performance and usability of my saw in any way possible. Has anyone owned the Bosch 4000 or 4100 who can offer suggestions? Also, I have not found an after-market fence that will fit this saw.

Thanks.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Barry,
I don't have any comments to add about your dust collection plan. Can you help us understand where you find limitations ("improve performance and usability") with your saw setup? What are you looking for in an aftermarket fence that you don't currently experience?
Chris

eta : http://incra.com/info/TS-LS_FenceSystem_RouterTableCompatibility.pdf re: inability to find aftermarket fences.
i use the incra ts ls and the link table indicates your table saw could be modified to accomodate the incra fence. I'd defer back to the initial question - what's the goal because I'm not sure I'd put that fence on that ts.

Last edited:

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Chris,

I may have overstated my sometimes frustration with my saw. Having not used another TS, the Bosch may work better than I think it does. I have seen new table saws at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and the fences always seem to glide along their rails when moved (the Bosch 4100 glides) - mine has never done this. Since day one when I move the fence it roughly and "skips". After unboxing and setting the saw up I called Bosch customer service about the fence and they had not idea what I was talking about. I have lubricated the fence mechanism and it did not help. Maybe this is much ado about nothing.
:confused:

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Looks like rousseau also makes a stand for your saw that has its own fence. There is one Amazon griper that seems focused on jobsite breakdown. Anyway, stay focused on task completion or you'll spend unnesccesary $. We all like new equipment and like to perseverate about the limits of our shop equipment. If you can make straight rip cuts in the wood thickness you want and the width you want, focus elsewhere. Imperfect does not equal replacement (I'm saying this for myself). You can make a lot of nice stuff with that saw. Have you tuned up the saw ? (Blade, 90 degree, fence calibrations, etc)?
keep working on the dust collection setup and worry more about the invisible than the pieces you see around the saw.
hope others chime in.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
. . . stay focused on task completion or you'll spend unnesccesary $. . .

Chris, kudos for bringing me back down to earth. We must thank those who can realize what is actually important.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've had the Bosch 4000 with the folding stand for about 8 years and it's been a tried and true workhorse for me. I went through the TS setup steps and it was spot on right out of the box. Those steps have been repeated several times over the years and it's still spot on.

Rip fence: I've had no problem with their front to back locking design; its remained square to the front and back of the blade and parallel to the miter slots. It doesn't glide like roller bearings but why should it. ???

Dust collection: I'd rather deal with shop vac cleanup instead of the accumulated crud around the motor and trunnions. It's not a cabinet saw designed for more efficient dust collection.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A shop vac is high pressure low volume, great for picking up debris off the floor and for reaching into small places to suck up the dust.

A dust collector is high volume and lower pressure, made for collecting dust as it leaves the source. Drawing in a great deal more air so it can get all the floating debris.

In order to collect all the dust coming out of your table saw you will have to move up to a true dust collector. I made this mistake and fought the system for many years. Finally broke open the piggy bank (lucked up on a great deal) and bought a dust collector.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I've had the Bosch 4000 with the folding stand for about 8 years and it's been a tried and true workhorse for me. I went through the TS setup steps and it was spot on right out of the box. Those steps have been repeated several times over the years and it's still spot on.

Rip fence: I've had no problem with their front to back locking design; its remained square to the front and back of the blade and parallel to the miter slots. It doesn't glide like roller bearings but why should it. ???

Dust collection: I'd rather deal with shop vac cleanup instead of the accumulated crud around the motor and trunnions. It's not a cabinet saw designed for more efficient dust collection.

Jeff,

It is great to hear from someone who has had first-hand experience with the Bosch 4000 and has used it for non-construction work. My lack of experience limits what I know about the capabilities of this saw. Like you, I did not have to make any adjustments on the saw when it was unboxed and I have not checked the settings numerous times over the years and they have remained true. It seems I have been consumed by the smoothness of the fence movement and dust collection.

From this point on, until I replace this saw, I am not going to dwell on superficial issues and learn how to become proficient in operating my saw.

Thank you,
-Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors