Dust collector upgrade thoughts

dazart

New User
Steve
I have a few tools that have 4" dust connectors and I don't think my shop vac is cutting it anymore. Unfortunately I don't have a lot to put towards something, but does anyone have any suggestions for a minor step up? I saw Harbor Freight has a 2hp one for about 200. That's probably about the most I'd hope to spend. I guess I can look around on CL and other places for something used too.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Loads of people use the Harbor Freight one. It's a good buy. And you can upgrade it later with a Wynn filter. You can also upgrade the impeller that will increase the suction.

Right out of the box it will meet your needs, and you can upgrade it at your convenience.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
A 1HP dust collector should meet your needs. A used Penn State Industries has served me well (10" table saw, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, 12" planer).

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
+1 for the HF model and its ability for incremental upgrades as the budget/requirements change. Working well for me so far and noticed a difference with the impeller upgrade.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
+ on the HF DC. I'm going to research the impeller upgrade. It sounds like something I would like to do. I'm just now bringing it on line with a Dust Deputy downstream. You can start with the HF machine by it's self, and add the impeller or Dust Deputy later.

Pop

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I also use the 2hp HF. Don't forget to use a 20% off coupon. But also please do not use it without upgrading the bags - filtration. The stock bags will not stop the finest dust, the type most likely to affect you. But if you go with 1 micron bags that is not expensive. With that change and a long flexible hose (Peachtree is a little less than Rockler) you will be over $200 but will have a system that will work and can be upgraded if you want.

I had a 1hp, a Delta AP-400, and it was not too good. I plumbed it with 4 inch SD PVC and blast gates and had inadequate suction for my jointer. The 2hp HF is MUCH more powerful. I would not go with a 1hp machine but it might work if you just wheeled it from machine to machine. But the 2hp HF is pretty inexpensive and it easily handles my jointer and planner.

My setup uses just the blower and motor from the HF and has a super dust deputy below them and then a box for the dust. It occupies an 18 inch square space in the back corner of my shop. I have 5 inch snap lock going to the table saw and then I swap in a long hose from peachtree going to the jointer and planner. The exhaust goes outside, no filtration (other than the cyclone). It is not my permanent setup but works for now. I will plumb in more snap lock and a couple more drops. I have the blast gates and some of the other stuff, but I like building furniture more than working on the shop. It will bug me enough to get done before too long.

Long way of saying I would start with the 2hp HF, upgrade the filtration, and then decide on how far you want to take it. With a cartridge filter or good bags, it could be the permanent solution. But you can also easily make it a two stage and even upgrade the impeller.

dazart

New User
Steve
Bummer - One of the "cannot be used for " conditions on the 20% coupon is "Central Machinery".

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
another vote for the HF DC. It has served my very well over 6 years now. A Wynn filter on top helps greatly. Anyone out there that has done the impeller upgrade have a link of brand to share on where to get those?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My HF dust sucker does a good job! Table saw, 2 router tables, jointer, planer 2 lathes, 2 band saws, sanders, and a floor sweep, and haven't had a single plug in 3 years. The DC is in an adjoining room I built for it, thereby eliminating the dust being circulated in the shop. I have one of those plastic lids on a 50 gallon Tuffy trash barrel making it a 2 stage system. And it all works!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS