Dust Collector Conversion Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
This is to everybody who has converted a regular dust collector from a double bag to a pleated filter or filters.I have the delta 850 1.5 horsepower unit with the bags.I have a seperator before the unit that works pretty good but I need desperately to switch to a pleated filter arrangement to get more of the fine dust.:crossedlips:

The big question,What has everybody used,be it a Wynn or a Torit ,I would like to know what my options are.I would like to be as close to 20 inches in diameter and also would like a cleaning paddle.If you made or created something and its working please fill me in.I'm even considering the pleated filters that Woodcraft has though they are up there price wise.Got some big projects with alot of sheet goods so the dust will be flying.Thanx in advance,
Greg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I added a filter from Wynn Environmental to my Harbor Freight dust collector. Installation was trivial, it's not a perfect fit (the HF ring is wider than the filter) but it clamps down seamlessly with the provided turnbuckles. The whole installation process is trivial. It should fit your Delta-850 without too much trouble.

Wynn makes both a paper- and a cloth (polyester) version. The paper filter has more square footage, but it's not washable. The poly version is smaller in terms of surface, but it is still way better than a regular bag, and should last forever. I picked the paper version, for the increased airflow and lower price. I figured I might wear it out eventually, but then I'll get a cyclone instead.

If you're going to use a filter, you should really consider adding a trash can separator. This will keep the bigger chips and shavings separate, so there is no chance of them lodging inside and possibly damaging the filter. Of course, you'll also need a baffle then.

The Wynn filter does not come with a paddle. They have some good info on their web site on how to make one, but I haven't yet tackled that. Soldering is not yet a skill I've cultivated.

Hope this helps. I think any of the filters will be a big improvement over what you have today.

cptully

New User
Chris
Bas,

Although I do agree that a trash can separator may be beneficial, the one nice thing about the Delta 850 is that given the construction of the fan housing and a bag holder (all in one unit) to get a weak cyclone type effect in the bag.

Chris

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas,

Although I do agree that a trash can separator may be beneficial, the one nice thing about the Delta 850 is that given the construction of the fan housing and a bag holder (all in one unit) to get a weak cyclone type effect in the bag.

Chris
It's definitely not required. The cyclone effect (well, I'll call it the swirly effect as to not offend the people with _real_ cyclones) is present in my HF unit as well. So most of the time, the bigger chips stay south of the filter. And the Delta has a much better swirly effect than the HF one, due to the construction of the inlet.

I say most of the time, because operator error is inevitable, you overflow the bag and then spend an hour cleaning out the filter. No matter how good the cyclone effect, it's no match for woodworker stupidity :) With a separator, that's less likely - you'd have to fill up the trash can AND the bag before that happens.

T

toolferone

Soldering is not yet a skill I've cultivated.

Bas, I looked at those instruction and it looks pretty straight forward. The solder part I can do with my eyes closed, so if you get the parts together and come on by we can get it soldered together no problem.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Go over to Sawmill Creek and check out Phil Thein's separator for a two bags unit. It is similar to the trash can one, but is built on the unit itself.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Hey Bas,I have a very effective 55 gallon trash can seperator.Its one of those plastic ones from Veritas with some internal modifications.I ran 6 inch flex right to the inlet of the lid and a 4 inch curved extension into the drum that ends up parallel to the side of the barrel.You can't lift the lid when its running for all the tea in China.:dontknow:

Now I hate to hijack this thread :eek:but there has to be other choices than Wynn.The biggest diameter they have is 17.5 inches.I'd love to find one that goes over the sides and clamps right to the same area that the band clamp would sit.I've looked at Bill Pence's site and wynn's site and saw the modifications but that is my second choice for now.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Grizzly's new DC's have a filter attached thats around 20" ( 19 5/8" I think) that has a paddle and might fit (around $149) because it can be retrofitted to their 2hp DC's.

On another note: Has anybody made a seperator that has a 6" inlet and 6" outlet. And if so how does it work ?

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hey Bas,I have a very effective 55 gallon trash can seperator.
Cool!

Now I hate to hijack this thread :eek:
Hey, you started this thread, you get to take it anywhere you want :)

but there has to be other choices than Wynn.
I'm sure there are, but I have no experience with them. I don't know why a bigger filter would work better, but I agree it would be nice if it fits the ring. Grizzly has dramatically expanded its DC and filters in the last year, good prices too. I believe HF has a canister filter as well.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yup, HF has recently added a canister filter to their product line, but it runs at $169 last time I checked. probably a better fit than the Wynn, but why spend more on something that is no more effective?

cptully

New User
Chris
Not to dis canister filters and other brands, but the main reason I went with the Delta 760 that I have is a review of so called portable dust collectors in Wood Magazine a few years ago (http://woodstore.net/dustcollectors.html). It demonstrated that the 50-760 (which I bought) was the only one to maintain greater than 800 cfm at a range of operating conditions, which anyone who has spent much time on Bill Pentz's site will realize is a bare bones minimum for decent _DUST_ collections as opposed to chip collection. Another benefit of the delta that I bought is it came with a one micro felt bag. All that and I stumbled onto a good sale when I had the money available to buy :gar-La;!

I've not seen a similar review since this one came out in 2002, so perhaps we should ask one of the journals to do one again, given the recent apparent improvements across the industry - any thoughts?

Chris Tully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS