Dust Collection Cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Looking to make my dust collector mobile this time and since it is a bit Frankenstein's monster I have to build a cart to do so. My only requirements are that I have a homemade Thein collector now but want to upgrade to a super dust deputy at some point and I want it to be under 87" tall so it can roll under my garage door motor. My main concern is will it tip over, the design side of me says it won't but that nagging little voice in the back of my head says maybe. The back and base would be 3/4" plywood with 2x4 internal structure. I've attached a quick Autocad sketch of what i'm thinking. Thanks
attachment.php

Attachments

• Cart.jpg
    Cart.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 325

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Just curious....why spend money on the Super Dust Deputy if you already have the Homemade Thien Separator? I built a Thien Separator and it works so well I'd never bother to spend the money on the SDD! Now, I would like to have a see-thru side so I can see when it gets clogged up. This doesn't happen very often, but when it does. *^%$$$%^&*%$###@#$!

BTW, Yes, I think it will tip over easily! I think you'll need a substantially wider base to stabilize the height of the motor.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Just curious....why spend money on the Super Dust Deputy if you already have the Homemade Thien Separator? I built a Thien Separator and it works so well I'd never bother to spend the money on the SDD! Now, I would like to have a see-thru side so I can see when it gets clogged up. This doesn't happen very often, but when it does. *^%$$$%^&*%$###@#$!

BTW, Yes, I think it will tip over easily! I think you'll need a substantially wider base to stabilize the height of the motor.

The only reason I was considering the SDD was I have heard it is more efficient, but I have had no issues with my Thein and the only times it has clogged is when I let the trash can overfill. Thanks for the feedback...back to the drawing board for some tweaks. :)

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I'm the proud owner of the world's worst DC. (Shopsmith DC3300) I am planning to replace with a Harbor Fright DC with a Thein. Some of my woodworking friends have the HF DC some for several years no problems. My son has a SDD hooked to a HF DC. It's performing well. He didn't want to build the Thein.

Pop

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Put some sand in the void around the trash can receptacle.

Thats not a bad idea, I was hoping with centering it over the trash can and base it would be enough, but sand would be an easy way to add a little extra insurance

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I'm the proud owner of the world's worst DC. (Shopsmith DC3300) I am planning to replace with a Harbor Fright DC with a Thein. Some of my woodworking friends have the HF DC some for several years no problems. My son has a SDD hooked to a HF DC. It's performing well. He didn't want to build the Thein.

Pop

I've had this HF dust collector and Thein top hat for a while, but in the old shop it was mounted to the wall and I really don't want to hard duct again, felt like I spent more time messing with the dust collector than actually making sawdust.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
very nice, Evan and Kaetlyn made this one a little while again that i was kind of copying from
angle-2-crop-1-935x658.jpg

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
You might consider adding some pull-out wings with drop feet that would widen the base when in place -- just pull the in to transport it to another tool in your shop. Now if you want clear, just spring for a ClearVue Cyclone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS