Durham and surrounding area lunch bunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Rick Cornell and I were talking about the possibility of getting a bunch of NC Woodworkers together for lunch in Durham. We know it is soon after the picnic but we are thinking about having the get together on June 4 at the Ole NC Barbeque on Roxboro Rd. I spoke with the owner today and there is a very extensive buffet with several meats/seafoods and about 15 veggies as well as salad and dessert bar. They even have chitterlings and pickled pig feet for those so inclined. :gar-La; Thank you very much but I will pass on that. :no:. They also have a menu from which you can order.

Is there any interest in this? I know that the lunches in the Apex area have been well attended. Maybe a lunch in Durham might be equally well received.

Please let me hear your thoughts on this.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am up for it, with enough advanced notice to get in my work schedule. Any lunch that involves pickled pigs feet will involve me :cool::wconfused::nah:

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick Cornell and I were talking about the possibility of getting a bunch of NC Woodworkers together for lunch in Durham. We know it is soon after the picnic.

I eat daily, often several times a day :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am game with advance notice. I haven't had any good fried Chitlings (my spelling) in many many years. I will pass on the pigs feet though.

I am familiar with Durham, but not this restaurant. Where on Roxboro Rd is it?

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Between Roxboro and Duke Street, right behind where Darrell's used to be.:gar-Bi At North Duke Mall (or at least that's what it was called when I was younger). If you know where County Stadium is on Duke, or Durham Regional Hospital is on Roxboro, you're about 2-3 stoplights south of it.

I didn't know it was still there! Good food!

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Travis, I know the southern spelling of chitlins....I was just trying to impress everyone with my superior intellect by spelling it correctly. :):) No matter how you spell it I ain't eating them. I remember the hog killings from my childhood and watching those women "cleaning" them. Scrape 'em, wash 'em, do anything you want to but they're not for this old boy. No way Jose. Oh, I forgot to mention she said they served neckbones too. I'll stick with the BBQ and seafood and leave the exotic stuff to the more adventuous of our group.

The restaurant is a 1/2 mile or so beyond Durham Regional Hospital on the left. Corner of Fairfield and Roxboro Rds.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hmmmm, I like BBQ, never been to Ole NC BBQ, and HF is nearby :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, there will be NCWWers :widea:
Sounds interesting.

Roger

Glennbear

Glenn
How far south of Lowe's in Henderson is this establishment time/distance?:dontknow: Lowe's is my landmark .

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Glenn, according to my mapping program it is 41 miles from Henderson to the restaurant. Hope you can make it.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks Stuart, not much further for me than a run to Raleigh but without the hassle of Rt.1 and the !@#$% traffic lights on Capital Blvd. Durham is straight down I-85 from my area of VA. :wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think I can but I won't know until last minute. Count me as a firm maybe.:dontknow:

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Hey, I might even be able to make that one...just have to make sure I drive the carpool that day.

But I'll pass on the chitterlings and feet. And neck bones. What no sow's ears? pfft...

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What is worse than watching them clean them is cooking them. They will stink up the entire house the entire time you are boiling them to clean them out.

They are sooooo chewy!

Knowing what they are, aren't sausages skinned with them anyway?

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I know all about how they smell when they are cooking. Again memories from my childhood days on my grandparents farm.. Even if you can get past knowing what they are, I never understood how anyone could eat something that smelled so bad while being cooked. Obviously, you gotta stay out of the kitchen. Saugage, in the old days,was stuffed in chitlings but, for many years now, the saugage casings are man made.

Another thing I refuse to eat are "mountain oysters". I helped my grandfather "trim" (his word) too many pigs and also smelled them while being cooked. I use to hold the little pigs by their front feet while my graddad worked on the other end with his extra sharp blade. I'll never forget the squeal when the vas deferens were cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS