Dumpster Diving???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Been diving at a cabinet shop.Came across some Shaplie :dontknow::dontknow:.At least thats what the guy told me.What I would like to know is has anyone ever turned any? It is a hard wood and the guy told me it IS VERY hard.Just wondering about making some pens out of it.What do you think.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You might be referring to Sapele. http://www.exotichardwoods-africa.com/sapele.htm
It is often used as a Mahogany substitute. It works well, but is a little harder than Mahog. The grain is generally pretty bland, but some good figure can be found. It is open pored like gen. Mahog. and will require some filling to get a high gloss finish. It isn't too hard to turn on a lathe, in fact I find the harder the wood the better the cut. Interlocking grain can cause you a problem, but nothing that a sharp tool can't over come.
Sounds like you have some good FREE pen blanks.
A great penturner that is no longer with us :( was known for his dumpster diving abilities. He would be proud to know you're following in his footsteps .

Dave:)

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Robert,
it makes some nice looking pens,sapele that is.I have a ton of quarter sawn sapele from Rick Dinardo.He made about 4000 sq ft of QS sapele flooring for a customer and it was gorgeous.If you want some more of it let me know.I have about 300 ft of it.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Robert,
it makes some nice looking pens,sapele that is.I have a ton of quarter sawn sapele from Rick Dinardo.He made about 4000 sq ft of QS sapele flooring for a customer and it was gorgeous.If you want some more of it let me know.I have about 300 ft of it.

Sapele is beautiful wood :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Roger

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Sapele is beautiful IMHO, especially if QS. As for turning, we recently made a couple pens from the Sapele scraps Greg brought to the Charlotte crawl. Beautiful stuff ... in fact, when placed in our pen folder full of burls and exotics, the first one to go was the sapele!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS