Drill press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I'm sort of in the market for a new drill press (if SWMBO doesn't find out) and am unsure of what to get. I want a full size floor model. Any ideas???

M

McRabbet

Larry,

I would recommend one of these -- the Powermatic PM2800. Here's a picture from our Fall 2009 Raffle

1792800_main_copy.jpg

and some details from the Powermatic website. Not cheap, but it is an excellent DP.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've been looking at the new Delta models. They have a longer quill travel than most other models, which is a feature I could use. I don't know about the PM model Rob suggested.

HTH

Bill

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Several of the Delta models have a table which tilts in two directions. This is really convenient for some of the work I do. I don't know if the PM has this feature or not.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
How much money do you not want her to find out that you spent? That would let us know what level you are pursueing. Let's face it ,the sky is the limit on choices.
I'll second the PM if that is in your budget. I have heard really good things about the new Delta but availability might be an issue at this time.
Good Luck,
Greg

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
What's wrong with your old drill press ?

I have a Taiwanese 17" and about the only fault I find is that its a PITA to change speeds since it requires moving belts.

And it would be nice if it was easier to tilt the table as it requires a wrench - and odd one at that.

-Mark

cpw

New User
Charles
Larry,

I would recommend one of these -- the Powermatic PM2800. Here's a picture from our Fall 2009 Raffle

1792800_main_copy.jpg

and some details from the Powermatic website. Not cheap, but it is an excellent DP.

+1
I have one. I haven't used it a lot but I feel spoiled every time I do! :gar-Bi

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Larry,

I've got the Powermatic and love it. I would think the new Delta would be good also. The key I find as a woodworker is a BIG work surface. The powermatic has that! I even added a bigger table and it makes repetative stopped drilling super easy. The table tilts all over the place and you can do lots of strange drilling angles but I keep mine at 90 deg most of the time and just use auxillary jigs or a tilting vice to drill the angles. Also, the speed control is super easy. The only downside is that even though it's pricey it's still not whisper quiet or vibration free. It does not have any runout though so it's drilling is smooth as long as your drill bit is true (but that's a whole nother bag of worms):BangHead: Oh, I like the built in light but hardly ever use the lasers. That's just me though

Hope this helps,
Mike

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
+1 on the PM2800. Agree w\ all above, and the ability to adjust speed on the fly is one of those things that once you try it you'll never go back to changing belts. The only complaint I have is the depth stop is kind of primitive and a nuisance to adjust. If a similar Delta, Rikon, etc has the same features and a less rudimentary depth stop I would consider it, but otherwise it's a no-brainer (assuming it fits in the budget).

ehpoole

Ethan
I've been happy with my Steel City 17" Drill Press (about 3-yrs old now), which was among the first available with 6-1/8" quill travel.

That said, I do like some of the models (both Delta and PM) with more woodworking oriented tables -- although attaching an auxiliary table to my drill press is simple enough.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
What's wrong with your old drill press ?

I have a Taiwanese 17" and about the only fault I find is that its a PITA to change speeds since it requires moving belts.

And it would be nice if it was easier to tilt the table as it requires a wrench - and odd one at that.

-Mark
Mark, my old one is a 30 yr old craftsman. The table is small, doesn't tilt and has to be raised and lowered by a lot of grunting and swearing and I just too old and lazy to do it any more. Also I've go a bad case of the Tool Guy Disease. It seems the voting is between the PM and Delta. Thanks for all the input guys.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
My suggestion is to try to buy one that you can check for run out before you purchase. As for the PM, there are obviously people that love it and a lot that hate it because of run out. Which shows that quality in any model can vary greatly. As for table size, almost all need an auxillary table. That greatly improves your abilities in my opinion. PM mentioned and the new Delta with the 6" stroke are pretty close in price and seem to both be good options. Good luck with your choice.

One question, why can't they make a drill press where the table can raise/lower without swaying like Little Egypt at the carnival? Is it impossible to make one that can change height without losing alignment?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
For my use, and general woodworking, the Delta does a good job. Table is easy to adjust, plenty of power for Forstner bits, etc. You can find one for a few hundred bucks if it'll fit your needs. :wsmile:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a fairly new Delta with a 4" stroke and like it just fine. It is very easy to adjust the depth of a hole when you only want to go partway through something and the table is easy to adjust. Came with a laser crosshair as well and a lamp with a flexible neck to spotlight the work.

I do have an auxiliary table for it that I sometimes use and sometimes don't. Got it from MLCS I think and it is easy to add or remove. A small tilt and swivel vise comes in handy at times also for holding odd pieces.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I will put my .02$ toward an older/used press. Something like a PM 1150, PM 1200 or a Clausing drill press. If you get lucky you will pay less then either the PM2800 or the new Delta. If you are unlucky/impatient you won't pay much less but you will get an arguably better press.

If you would rather buy new I vote for the new Delta because 400rpm is a little fast for a 2" forestner.

It took me a about a year to find my PM1150A. And because it was old/used there were some kinks to work out. But there is virtually no play in the spindle. It has a Reeves drive and a VFD so I have very easy speed changes and it can spin a bit as slow as you would care for.

Good luck!
Salem

Sal Buscemi

New User
Sal
+1 on the used American made drill presses. They sure don't seem to be as popular around here, but they are generally better. I just picked up a Walker-Turner 20" for as much as a floor model Horror Freight. And if you have more money than me, you could get one of the real nice Powermatic or Clausing 20" that I have seen for sale around here for well under a grand. Mine came with a single phase motor, but I'm working on getting a 3-phase and a VFD for electronic speed control, which is still uncommon even on the expensive new presses.

And I'm pretty sure plenty of drill presses had over 6" of quill travel well before Steel City was a company.

Sal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS