Drill Press Motor Issue (Fixed)

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not that I know of or heard. I guess I need to take it back down and open it up and see. Maybe with all the movement something happened inside

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Being a NEMA 48 frame motor, it most likely has a 1/2" shaft. Generally they don't have a key way, but a flat instead. Setscrew in pulley has to bear upon flat. Can you turn pulley by hand with shaft turning also? If so shaft isn't frozen in place. Without pulley, does motor run? Did you try to turn quill by hand without motor attached? Could be a frozen bearing in quill

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
It amazes me the level of knowledge on this site. Bruce was right on target. Thank you.

So summary of what I did:
The motor had an oil port on the front and back of the motor. Took out the plugs and it was bone dry. So it took a lot of oil to fill it back up. Let it soak over night and then worked on hand turning the motor to make sure it spins easily. Then turned the quill and it was a little stiff. So I worked on oiling that up so it spins easily without any kind of noise. Then I checked the pulley on the motor shaft and saw the set screws were now on the round part of the shaft and not the flat part. The 2 set screws were also loose. So got the pulley lined up the flat part of the shaft and tightened the set screws. Put the motor back and adjusted the belt alignment. Turned it on and it’s back working like it should.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS