Drill Press Laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I still haven't gotten back in gear to do some woodworking though I did make it up to the shop today and decided to install a drill press laser that I picked up at the Chantilly, VA Woodworking last month. This one is labeled Steel City Tools but it is similar to one or two other brands. Steel city had a good price on them at the show.

The unit is well made. It can be powered by battery or by the included little power adapter. It mounts easily to the column with an included band clamp, but I decided to mount the laser to the underside of the headstock since I routinely rotate my headstock. This way it will always track, even if I do rotate the headstock. Alignment with the special spindle, which is included, is fairly straight forward and the laser intersection is sufficiently precise.

DP-12.JPG

DP-11.JPG

The laser generates two intersecting vertical laser "planes" (vs beams)- the intersection (center point) is always in the center of the bit regardless of the table height.

DP-13.JPG

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That looks pretty cool Alan. How difficult was it to align so it was accurate throughout the range of bit travel?

Chuck

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
That looks pretty cool Alan. How difficult was it to align so it was accurate throughout the range of bit travel?

Chuck

They give you a ceramic spindle with a vertical line scribed on it. Each laser will rotate on two axis and you align one at a time. Took me less than 5 min. I found it easier to tape over one laser while I aligned the other.

Travis

New User
Travis
Alan,

How does it work as raise and lower the table? How about when you set the table at an angle. Just curious?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
When did you go to the Chantilly show? I was up there myself on Friday. Unfortunately, I didn't get to stay but two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS