Drill press as a lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
The other day I checked out a book from the library titled "Workshop Shortcuts" by Graham McCulloch. Under the drill press section is a few paragraghs about using the drill press as a lathe for small projects. It mentions using a dowel center on the tail stock and the picture shows what looks like a forstner bit in the chuck. When I read this I thought well that just might work. So that leads to the question has anyone ever done this and what was the outcome of the project? Worked or didn't work?

I just thought I'd run this by everyone and see if anyone has done it. Thanks

Paul

dozer

Mike
I have seen mandrels for a drill press to make pens. I seen a site somewhere on the web where the guy was making small things using the drill press as a lathe. If I can find the site again I will post the linke here for you.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Way back in about 1977 I turned a gear blank on my drill press for a corn picker. I filled a paper cup with plaster of paris with a 3/8 bolt thru it. Turned it the same shape as the old broken gear, it was an 8 tooth beval gear cut the teeth in it with a dremal tool. took it to a forge shop and they make a mold with it and cast me a gear from it. Took it home, drilled out the inside and put it back on the corn picker and it worked for 5 more years.
dick

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Thanks for posting your experiences and finds for using a drill press as a lathe. I was looking at a catalog from Penn State Industries last night and found a lathe accessory for the drill press. Here's the link; Drill Press Lathe: Penn State Industries. I just might order this and give it a try. My wife wants me to make her some crochet hooks and I might try making some fishing lures. I'm sure I'll end up with a bunch of tooth picks before she gets a crochet hook or me a lure. :)

Paul

tattoo12365

New User
Allen
Well it's just my opinion but if you think about it ........ Shopsmith has been doing that for years ......... right?

I have plenty of tools but I have found myself using an old shopsmith someone GAVE me for a drill press mainly and a drum sander ...... last night I had something I wanted to router the inside cut on and I set it up drill press style and inserted my 1/4 round over bit. Ran the table up to the right height and away I went. I have a router table all set up but using the shopsmith I could watch what was being taken off. Seemed cool to me LOL

Allen :BangHead:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Intriguing question Paul. I look forward to your comments after trying it.

I've never used a lathe, but the speed range of drillpress and lathe overlap to some extent. However, I've noted expressions of concern about applying lateral pressure to DP for fear of damaging bearings. I've avoided using my DP as drum sander for that reason. Now you have me curious. Is it a potential problem or have I been suckered into another "myth" :eusa_thin

Roger

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
I know it's been a couple of weeks since I started this thread but I wanted to follow up on it. I received the lathe kit for the drill press from Penn State. Setting it up was fairly easy. I had to use bolts from the drill press fence that came with the drill press to attach the lathe attachment. The ones that came with the attachment wouldn't work with my table. I found it difficult to use the chisel in a verticle motion. I couldn't keep an even motion and it was much harder to around chest level as opposed to hip level. Keep in mind I'm NOT an experienced turner. As a matter of fact this was my 1st experience and I really didn't like it. :-( Don't worry all you turners out there. I got an early Christmas present today. It's a lathe from Harbor Frieght, I know I know, it was on sale for $85 and I had a 15% off coupon so my wonderful wife got it for me. I think there's a hidden agenda there. She wants trinkets. Unfortunately it will remain in it's box for a week or two because I have to put the top on the router cabinet I made and finish it's fence. That's for another post.:-D

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS