Drawing an oval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
I'm making a sign for a friend, the board needs to be ellipse shaped. How would you draw an oval to cut out? Circles are easy, with a compass, but can't figure out how to draw the ellipse accurately..

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If using the nail & string method, remember to get a string that won't stretch. It will distort the oval. Better to use piano wire or gift wrap ribbon if you have it.
Also, you asked for 2 different things, an oval and an ellipse. Ellipses are egg shaped & not quadrilaterally symmetrical like ovals.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Make one of these. I use a longer or shorter arm depending on the size needed...

DoNothingToy001.jpg

View image in gallery

Just realized the end holding the pencil is not in this pic. Just a hole large enough for a round-bodied pencil jammed in. Small piece of dbl sided tape holds it.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
From past experience, I have found it easiest to draw 1/4 of one out on a thin template, and flip it over a few times tracing it than to draw a complete one (or draw the 1/4 on a piece of thick paper folded into quarters to make a pattern). Takes out a lot of the string stretch and pencil leaning variables.

If making a few, then Joe's jig is the way to go.

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Make one of these. I use a longer or shorter arm depending on the size needed...

Just realized the end holding the pencil is not in this pic. Just a hole large enough for a round-bodied pencil jammed in. Small piece of dbl sided tape holds it.
Interesting jig, Joe. How do you determine or set it up for a specific sized oval?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Dennis, I hold the base with one hand and swing the arm around, noting where it crosses the longest measurement. Drill the pencil hole, press in the pencil, hold or tape down the base, and mark the oval.
This jig makes an oval; not an ellipse. But that's never been critical for me.

When not in use, the jig is a fun mind waster. Mount a short arm and start cranking it around while you try to remember what you were supposed to do next!:sad11:

timf67

New User
Tim
If using the nail & string method, remember to get a string that won't stretch. It will distort the oval. Better to use piano wire or gift wrap ribbon if you have it.
Also, you asked for 2 different things, an oval and an ellipse. Ellipses are egg shaped & not quadrilaterally symmetrical like ovals.

I think you have it backwards:

"An ellipse is a smooth closed curve which is symmetric about its horizontal and vertical axes. The distance between antipodal points on the ellipse, or pairs of points whose midpoint is at the center of the ellipse, is maximum along the major axis or transverse diameter, and a minimum along the perpendicular minor axis or conjugate diameter. (from Mechanics' and Engineers' Pocket Book of Tables, Rules, and Formulas)

An oval is a generic term for a roundish shape like an egg. All ellipses are oval, but not all ovals are ellipses.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I use a drawing program (Microsoft Visio). Print it out, tape the pages together (if necessary), then use spray adhesive to stick it to the wood. Cut on the line. Doesn't get much easier, IMO.

If you have the height and width you need, I can send you a .pdf file. I always include registration marks for aligning multi-page printouts and to verify the scale.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought maybe you had a set process to locate the pivot points for a particular oval. Ovals are described by their major & minor radii (i.e. 20 x 10, 10 x 15, etc.). These numbers work to get the 'string' method or any other mathematical solution. I just thought you may have a similar method used with the jig to set it up.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I made the same jig Joe made for an oval table I made. The advantage of this approach was that I could make a jig that fit on my router and use it to cut out the table top. And I will have this jig for future use. It is really easy to make from some scrap plywood - I made it in ~15 minutes.

I tried the string approach at first but it was a big table this method got really cumbersome. I would go back over my original line and be off by too much.

Good luck.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I used 2 nails and a string. Nails are tapped into 1/4 ply which is double sided taped to the table surface.

IMG_2487.JPG

Finished pic below.

IMG_2647.JPG

I used sketchup to draw ellipses with different eccentricities until I found the most aesthetically pleasing shape.

Pretty easy to do.

Chuck

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice table, Chuck. I wonder if the 'golden rectangle' ratio is applicable to ovals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors