Drawer slides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I am building some draws to hold CD/DVDs and I originally thought when I drew up the plans that the draws would be ok with just some wax on the draw bottom and no slide hardware. I have now constructed the draws and they are bigger in real life then in my drawing :) So now I'm considering slides however my draws and their openings left no room for slides (sides or top/bottom). I've been looking at under mount options because I figure if I have to I can shave a little off the draw height if need be to make them fit. From looking on the web I think the best I have come up with is the Accuride 1092
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=1493&TabSelect=Details

My draws are ~20 inches wide, ~16 inches deep and ~7inches tall.

Anyone have any opinions on this option or another option?

Also does anyone know where I might be able to purchase the 1092's or whatever you suggest in the Raleigh area as I want to get past this hurdle in the next day or two?

Thanks
Shayne

T

toolferone

Shayne, Any standard ball bearing side drawer slide can be used on th ebottom. You just need to reduce the weight capacity to half what it is rated at. Most slides are rated at 100 so it would hold 50 lbs. They would also be full extension if you need that. THis would also open you up to getting them about anywhere. Any of the big box stores, also you could check out "The Wurth Group" (old Raleigh Hardwood) off Poole rd

Shayne

New User
Shayne
Thanks for the opinions

Steve - I think I understand what you are recommending however my biggest concern is that the draw will have a good amount of weight when full and will be hard to open and close. Would a wooden slide really help in this regard?

Tom - I kind of thought I could use any slide on the bottom with the obvious capacity reduction. I will check out big box stores and see what I can find.

Thanks

sediener

New User
Steve
Thanks for the opinions

Steve - I think I understand what you are recommending however my biggest concern is that the draw will have a good amount of weight when full and will be hard to open and close. Would a wooden slide really help in this regard?

I'm not sure how easy it would be to close with a lot of weight on it. If your slides are fit well and you use some HMW PE tape or wax to help with friction, it would probably be ok unless you are putting 50+ lbs in the drawer. You are probably better off going with the metal slides if you can fit them in.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors