Drawer slide question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Have a question for you pros out there. I'm building bench seats with 32" wide drawers, 12" high, 20" deep, and trying to figure out the drawer slides. I've been looking at full-extension side-mount slides in the 100lb range, but all the 100lb drawer slides say something like "not for lateral drawer applications." The ones rated for wide drawers are all super heavy duty and very expensive. So, my question, in two parts - 1) can I safely ignore those notes in the manufacturer's tech notes and use a medium-duty 100' slide on my wide drawers, and 2) if not, what slide would you use?

Tim

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
First, I am not a pro, and my comments are worth what you paid for them. Now that that is over....

Couple of years back I built a toybox with a drawer. It is around 36" wide, 16" tall, and 20" deep. I used regular old ball bearing full extension slides on it. I believe DaveO and DavidF have seen it. I have had zero issues with it. Works well even with two young kids.

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Tim
You'll have no issues as long as you don't overload. Regularly use Knape & Vogt KV8400/8405 or Hettich KA 5632 100# rated, full extention slides for your applacation. What can happen with these and the reason for the disclaimer from the manufacture I believe, is sometimes on a drawer that is wider than it is deep is the right and left sides won't pull "evenly" with two pulls. As long as you have your tolorences side to side good you'll be ok.
We use Knape & Vogt KV8505 for lateral file drawers in offices 150 #, different configuration slide than above. Expensive!
Robb
Heritage Woodwright LLC

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. Two small kids are the concern here too (though not quite yet, they're still in utero). Yes, I looked at the KV lateral file drawer slides, swallowed hard, and decided to ask around on here - the slides for my 6 drawers would've cost more than all the materials I used to build the benches!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS