Drawer(s) in an Apron? .....Writing Desk Done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Re: Drawer(s) in an Apron?

Nice table! I made a similar one using NYW plans. I used the rip-crosscut-glue-up method to make the drawer cutout, but my apron was painted (drawer fronts were cherry). Your grain match isn't bad. It may just be the wood. You need to keep all pieces with the same edge up AND same face out. Just two words- "witness marks." :-D

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Took better than two weeks but it is now complete. Applied the final coat of poly yesterday afternoon and should be placed into service tomorrow AM.

DSC00564.JPG

Daughter is tickled, so that makes papa very happy!!!!! Thanks to everyone that helped me through the apron's. I tried to be careful about grain match but I apparently flipped one drawer front - inside/out!:5eek:Oh well every project has its challenges. Right!!!

Thanks again everyone!

Wayne

Touchwood

New User
Don
Well. Here I go again......

I have been looking at ways to incorporate a drawer into a table apron. While there seems to be several options out there on the internet, I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good book that cover this type of construction. The only experience I have had is when a drawer consumes pretty much all of the front apron area. (I did look long and hard at DaveO's Greene and Greene table but I guess I just don't get it!:BangHead: 1. How to cut that nice even and square slot in the apron like he did. 2. What type of drawer runner is used and how is it attached to the front and rear aprons?)

A comprehensive book on the subject would be a nice addition to the novice library.

(Oh. By the way I am just started thinking about building a small/simple writing desk for yet another one of my daughters)

TIA (once again) for any reading suggestions!

Wayne

Wayne,

I've done a flock of computer desks, glove tables, side tables etc all in Shaker style, but the drawer techniques are pretty much the same for any style.

If you can pick up Thom Mosers book..I think it's titled Measured Shop drawings for American Furniture..it's a gold mine of info. on this and lots of other things. I've built a lot of pieces following his design techniques but putting my own twist on appearance...plus a lot of customer custom requests.

I'm in the throws of setting up a new computer (the one I'm sending you this on is 10 years old and is so slow I get frustrated posting pictures...even the ncwoodworker website takes "hours" to open or respond to any action I take. :BangHead:

As soon as I'm up and running, I'll post a bunch of those tables in the Gallery...I'll include pics of drawer construction I use on aprons.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors