Drawer Pull question

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsb

New User
Tim
I have 6 desk drawers for which i need pulls. They range in width from 14 inches to 22 inches. I would like them to be uniform so i assume they need to be at least 4 inches or so?

Also, would like to find some in solid wood that complement what the desk are made of: 1 walnut desk, 1 white oak desk, 1 red lytus.

I am open to making them but not sure the best way to make them so my kids can use them easily. any ideas?

i have included pictures of my drawers and wonder if i did them ok. i used 1/4 inch baltic birch for the bottoms. Specifically, did not use glue but used 4 pocket screws on each corner. Ended up gluing support underneath each drawer and using pocket screws to further support them. is this overkill, any potential issues?

i usually learn by making mistakes and this project has given me a lot of learning opportunities. will post final pictures when done with the finish-will use Murdocks Hard Sealer.

thanks,
tim
FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender(2).jpgFullSizeRender(1).jpg

Thanks,
Tim

thsb

New User
Tim
Thanks. i think i will do that. obviously there is a reason it is hard to find wood pulls online....

btw, amazing work on all of those drawers!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you do use wooden pulls turning a round tenon on them and just drilling the same size hole (say 1/2" maybe) in the drawer front is a good way to install them versus using a screw. Today's glues will hold better than any screw.

It's pretty easy to make a nice looking knob using a 1" x 1" stick and running it over a round-nose router bit a little back from the end of the stick. Then put a pyramid shape with a disc sander on the very end. Do this on both ends of the stick and cut off the knobs on the band saw or table saw. You get two knobs per stick - these with flat mounting surface, not a round tenon.

Anyway, pulls are not hard to make by hand. Use your imagination. There are lots of other forms or designs to make.

That said, metal pulls might be better given the young audience of this piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS