Dq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I was talking with the rep from Jet during the Extravaganza on Saturday and he mentioned that if I was going to buy a scroll saw any time other then during the Extravaganza, it would not matter if I was DQ because it did not count on machines, only woodworking materials. Is this correct?

ehpoole

Ethan
It is best to have that discussion with a knowlegable representative of the vendor you wish to buy from as they are the authority on such answers, anything we share will be second hand knowledge and subject to error. However, as a geeneral rule most vendors are limited by contract in terms of what discounts, if any, and when they may offer on most power tools. As such the power tool manufacturers largely control any sales, how much that sale is for, and when the sale may happen and most vendors will have specific language on their sales flyers making note of such whenever they have a store-wide sale specifically noting that the sale does not apply to certain brands.

Jet does typically have a once per year sale period, typically 15% off IIRC, but you would have to find out from the store when they have that sale, but it was very likely during the Spring or Summer months, so you could have a lengthy wait until the next sale. It has been a long time since I had to buy a major piece of shop equipment, so I no longer recall exactly when those sales are but the store should know as it is the same time each year. Until then, the store is typically hand tied as to what price it charges you for most power tool purchases.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Thank you once again Ethan for the great input. I was told there will be a sale for Black Friday. He just did not know if it would be 10% or 15%, so I need to sit and wait.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did also hear Coleman, the Klingspor Sales Director, mention a Black Friday sale. I also didn't hear any specifics on the discount level.

The DQ rules do vary by the store administering them. Sawstop and Festool are never discounted due to their contracts with their retailers. At Klingspor, most equipment is excluded as is wood from the normal 10% discount we get once DQ. At The Hardwood Store we get 'moved over a column' once DQ there. By that I mean that they have pricing that varies by the number of bf you buy listed in columns. If you buy only 10 bf of a wood you'll get the 50 bf price or wherever the next price break occurs. Our other great DQ retailers have their own rules as well.

But as Ethan mentioned each store administers the DQ program as they see fit, so you really need to speak with them as to the exact rules they are following. I am only relaying my personal experience here.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I didn't realize it but the Jet rep was Toolferone. They were running a show special and I got 15% off the drill press I wanted.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I wanted to get a couple items on Saturday but the wife got a bad headache from not eating all morning so I took her out to lunch. She was still not feeling better and I knew I had a three hour ride back home and left from the restaurant and never got back to the Extravaganza and lost out on all of it!
All I can do now is look around for a good Black Friday sale for the couple items I wanted.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Frank, Sorry to hear your wife was under the weather, I hope she is feeling much better.

A few years ago I was in the market for a new Powermatic lathe. I signed up for Powermatic/Jet e-mail updates and I get notified of their sales. I do give Powermatic/Jet kudos for not spamming me and being restrained in the type and quantity of e-mails they have historically sent to my account. I would have no reservation recommending to anyone to join their mailing list if you are interested in their product lines.

I also archive certain e-mails and on Nov 22 of 2015, Jet was offering 15% off of their woodworking machines and 20% off of accessories. This was from 2015 but because of several larger purchases, I've tracked Powermatic/Jet sales events for several years and it's likely they will have a similar offer before Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

BTW, the actual e-mail from 2015 was from my local Powermatic/Jet dealer who has always supported me after the sale.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I have been on Jet's list for the past 15+ years now. I try to keep up with them since my purchase of the 10" contractor saw I bought 15 years ago and still use to this day.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Frank, good to know. I tried to check Jet's prior year sales but the e-mails were linked to dead pages but it sounds like you've seen these sales long before I ever entered the market.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is by no means an official policy but in my experience if you find a major brand like Jet, Rikon or Powermatic on sale online or at another retailer, Klingspor will price match if you ask them to. This is just my impression and by no means am I a spokesperson for them so YMMV. It never hurts to ask though. They can only say no.

It is totally up to them whether they choose to honor another vendors price break, but I've found them to be very accommodating at times. It pays to ask them before jumping on an online deal from a vendor that won't support you the way that Klingspor will if you have any problems.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Ken, you exactly hit the nail on the head. I mentioned my local dealer for that very reason.

My last Powermatic purchase was a fair price and I didn't push to squeeze every last penny on the price. He more than made up for it by throwing in an extra accessory and selling some other items to me for a great price.

Also, had there been a problem, I know his first name and he'd be there to help.

My recent lathe purchase did not come from the online vendor and I was thrilled with the transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS