Down Draft Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Has anyone on here ever built a simple down draft table for sanding? I'd like to make one to attempt to cut down on my dust problems. Thanks in advance for any advice or plans you may have. :notworthy:

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Reggie -

Here a couple of pics of one I did. It's connected with 6" pipe to my cyclone DC. These are WIP pics when I built it, so you have to use your imagination a bit.

Here it is in place along the wall. Imagine the top area covered with 1/4" pegboard.

Dust_Collector_008.jpg

View image in gallery

Here's the cabinet carcase glued up and looking into the top...

Downdraft_2_sm.jpg

View image in gallery

And looking up from the bottom:

Downdraft_1_sm.jpg

View image in gallery

HTH,
C.

Glennbear

Glenn
I had plans of building one but ran out of shop space before I did. :gar-La; I did however do quite a bit of research, the key seems to be to make the enclosed space under the pegboard top as small as possible (think angled bottom) so that you get maximum suction through the top. Best of luck on your build. :wsmile:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
[Thanks for the pics, Mr. Peters! That's what I have in mind, except I think I'll put mine on casters so I can roll it out of the way or to the most convenient location.

Question: How well does it work? Does all the air flow in through the pegboard top? Thanks again. :wsmile:B][/B]

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Question: How well does it work? Does all the air flow in through the pegboard top? Thanks again. :wsmile:B][/B]

Yes Reggie, all of the airflow goes through the pegboard top. It works pretty well, though I still use the shop vac hooked up to the ROS just for that extra little bit of capture. It is hooked up to a 1800 cfm cyclone though a 6" pipe - so there is ALOT of draw. The added benefit of that much airflow is that the suction does a pretty good job of holding the larger workpieces still under the ROS!

I do still get a little bit of that really fine dust on the walls in the immediate vicinity that escapes the capture area of the top. Overall though, my shop stays a whole lot less dusty than it used to...

C.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I do still get a little bit of that really fine dust on the walls in the immediate vicinity that escapes the capture area of the top. Overall though, my shop stays a whole lot less dusty than it used to...

That's the result I'm after!! I have a fine particle collector that is ceiling mounted, so maybe the combination of the two will do the trick. Thanks again!! :notworthy:

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
At DTCC's shop, they have a simple 1x 4-sided frame with a pegboard top and a 4" PVC pipe in one end. When you need it, you set it on your bench top and attach the vaccum hose. When you're done, you hang it on a hook on the wall.

I am going there tonight and will try to take a picture of it. Very simple and portable design.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made one out of MDF using the Rockler panels and their plans. Works great. I recently improved it by adding 2 handles on the side so it's easier to pick up and put away under my assembly table. I also added some plastic swivel keepers so the panels don't fall out when it is standing on end under the table. I'll try to get some pictures once I'm back in the shop.

- Ken.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
At DTCC's shop, they have a simple 1x 4-sided frame with a pegboard top and a 4" PVC pipe in one end. When you need it, you set it on your bench top and attach the vaccum hose. When you're done, you hang it on a hook on the wall.

I am going there tonight and will try to take a picture of it. Very simple and portable design.

Thanks, Marvin! I like simple!!:wsmile:

bwat

New User
Bill
Another option would be a portable table like the Shop Fox or similar shop built unit. You can leave it out if you have the floor space or stash it after use to clear the flat surface. Good non-slip surface and 4" DC port on rear. Larger store bought is 20"x40" so it may not meet larger piece needs but an idea...
mPOjwzTSj26731sOM7fImlZUK2092C77gu9gYNUlq4YEQNgmWFTQHcdwMs5WqqXxhvGJIt9dWcsgOhUuNYC_4iH_tPQ3m-l4NcjOq8lRLIGT2uXNQtPX1jSQEHGEQnmgc6bPRE86L_Kq6VhUmcI-GQukrmwFJzmI

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Reggie,

Here is the pic of the benchtop down-draft table I mentioned in my earlier reply.

photo_2_2.jpg

When we are not using it, it simply hangs on a nail on the wall. It probably costs less than $10.

I can tell you from experience, that it works pretty well. The vaccum holds it to the table, your work-piece to the down-draft table and pulls the sanding dust away pretty effectively.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
As promised - pictures of my Down Draft Table.

Made from some 1/2" scrap MDF I had lying around using the Rockler panels and their instructions.

Simple but effective.

The rubber gromets make for a nice non slip surface and keep the work a little raised so the dust can be sucked up underneath it.

It stores away under my assembly table when not in use.

- Ken.

SRhody

New User
Stacey
I also used the Rockler plan as a starting point and the metal grates, but modified slightly on shape and look.

Incorporated the down draft into a rolling storage cabinet that was going to the dumpster.

Some pictures in my gallery (last page or two).

Seems to work well and I also have an overhead dust/particle filter...all together is a lot better than when I started.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
someone had a little grizzly one on here in teh classifieds recently, if you got the room it might be the simplest approach

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Reggie,

Here is the pic of the benchtop down-draft table I mentioned in my earlier reply.

photo_2_2.jpg

When we are not using it, it simply hangs on a nail on the wall. It probably costs less than $10.

I can tell you from experience, that it works pretty well. The vaccum holds it to the table, your work-piece to the down-draft table and pulls the sanding dust away pretty effectively.

Marvin, thanks! What is the dimensions? Looks like about 4' X 2'? :wsmile:

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I think its 1x3 or 1x4. Seems like you could make it whatever size you wanted to, within reason, provided your dust collection system has the necessary suction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS