Dowel plate

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Two of the things I most enjoy about starting a new project is acquiring the tools needed and learning new skills. As tools and skills go this is a pretty minor one. It's a tool that's been on my list for some time to make, just waiting for the right project to come along.

The desk I'm making for my wife will be pinned together, leaving the pins to show. This is a feature often seen on Queen Anne pieces. I wanted a dowel plate to use in making the pins. This was an easy project, but one with a lot of boring tasks (that one's for you @Hmerkle). Here's the result. The holes are true size on the face and then counter bored 1/32" larger from the other side, stopping just short of the top. The steel plate is 1/4" thick.

1688687146528.png
1688687198555.png
1688687236045.png

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Very good, thanks for posting. I've never used a dowel plate, but can see how they would help.

I have a couple rookie questions:
- Do you just hammer the pins through the holes, or can you chuck them in a drill?
- Does this work with all wood types?
- Do you typically buy dowel rod, then refine them, or what?
- Do you still use a plug cutter for shorter pins?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I forgot to ask, what steel did you use?

OMG! the screws are NOT clocked!!! You are SLIPPING!!!! HA HA HA
The steel is from a bar I happen to have left over from another project. It's 1018 carbon steel. Probably not the easiest choice if you're going to harden it (which I'm not). I figure it will make a LOT of dowels before needing to be sharpened.

As for clocking the screws, believe it or not, I did think about this as I was putting them in. I decided it didn't matter, so yes, I am slipping. :p

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a couple rookie questions:
- Do you just hammer the pins through the holes, or can you chuck them in a drill?
- Does this work with all wood types?
- Do you typically buy dowel rod, then refine them, or what?
- Do you still use a plug cutter for shorter pins?
Yes, just hammer the wood through. See this video. It's best to whittle the corners off before starting a square piece so it starts even. Also, you want to start with a larger hole and then repeat the process, using progressively smaller holes until you reach the target diameter. You can use a drill to chuck it first and then run it through the hole. However, this plate design probably works better that way.

Works with all types of wood AFIK, though brittle woods like ebony are easier to break. It is best to use straight grained blanks and to split out the blanks using a chisel so they follow the grain. This yields the best dowels. Hammer straight down to avoid breaking.

No need to start with an existing dowel. These turn square blanks into dowels. You could take a larger dowel and make it smaller using this if needed.

I mainly use plug cutters when I want a dowel from cross grain (i.e., to plug a hole and blend with existing grain). A dowel plate won't work in this case. A plug cutter has a limited length, but a dowel plate can take as long a rod as you can driver through the hole without breaking.

One more thing I'll add is that dowel plates aren't the best way for making long dowels. They're nice when you need a short dowel from a particular type of wood, or a special size.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
As for clocking the screws, believe it or not, I did think about this as I was putting them in. I decided it didn't matter, so yes, I am slipping. :p
I was thinking you wanted to reflect different time zones.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS