Dovetails burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Just a quick question about my dovetail techniques. I have a Black & Decker router 1/4" that I use to make dovetails on my Craftsman dovetail jig. Most of what I make has been hardwood. It seems that most all my dovetails are burnt into the wood. Is this a common occurance or am I doing something wrong? Lorraine

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
FWIW, always use carbide bits. Preferably 2 flute and not single flute. Don't force the router into the cut too fast either and likewise not too slow. Sound of the router will tell you a lot.

Like Mike says, bit is probably dull.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Lorraine if the router speed is too high relative to the speed that you are moving the router that will also tend to cause burning. You will see the same tendency using a straight bit for dados. Try slowing down the speed.

I use a 1/4 dovetail bit for my Keller jig and don't have a problem with burning.

Chuck

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I don't know if this Black and Decker has a speed control or not but I will look. I also have a new craftsman that I could be using. My PC is in the router table so I don't usually take him out. He is set up with 1/2" and my dovetails are 1/4". I maybe just pushing too hard. Thanks guys. Just something else to learn.I will also check out a new bit. Lorraine

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am setting up my dovetail jig to make drawers. I removed the dovetail bit that was in the router and also switched to my PC router for the new setup. I tried my Craftsman plunge router first and had a problem with the template. When I put the new bit into the router the bit went too deep into the wood. Seems the template isn't deep enough, if that is possible. With this problem I went to the PC and found the same problem. I have enclosed two pics. You will see the bit in the router is the old one that burnt, it doesn't have the wings that the new one has so I was able to put it deeper into the template. I must be doing something wrong. Help please. Lorraine:eusa_pray

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am now setting up my dovetail jig for drawers. You will see two pics. The one in the router is the old one that burnt. Notice that it doesn't have wing on the sides so it will go deeper into the router template. The new one you will also see has the wings and when I try to put it into my Porter Cable or Craftsman Plunge router the new bit doesn't go deep enough. The cut would be too deep into the board. If I adjust the router depth I only go deeper. Help please.:eusa_pray

Also, would someone explain the difference in the different dovetail router bits. I plan to use them in future projects in the front of dado's in cabinets. What are the different degrees I see in the catalog?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, Lorraine without the pics it's hard to figure anything out. Are you doing HB DTs, most jigs the depth of the bit determines the fit. Is your bit contacting the guide bushing, keeping you from taking a shallower cut. I have grounded down guide bushings so they didn't protrude as much. I don't really understand the wings you're talking about on the bit.
The different degrees for DT bit are for different types of wood. IIRC you use a steeper angle with soft woods like pine 6:1 and a 8:1 angle for hardwoods.

Sorry not much help :BangHead:

Dave:)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Let's see if I can get the pics this time.

Attachments

• 000_0207.jpg
    000_0207.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 000_0208.jpg
    000_0208.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors