Dovetail problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I recently purchased a PortaCable dovetail jig which came with a bit. I set it up and cut several drawers before I damaged the bit and had to replace it. I made some calls to make sure I was purchasing the right size and ended up with the one you see on the right. I am trying to set up again but find that the tail is too large for the pin. I have made up and down adjustments but everything still leaves the tail larger than the hole. Help me please. Lorraine

Attachments

• 100_2549.jpg
    100_2549.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 182
T

toolferone

Which PC model # do you have? If it is the 4210 or 4212 they take a odd ball bit. Either from PC or Whiteside, maybe others, but it must say it is for that jig. PC had some bits that were sized wrong I would use the Whiteside.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Tom, I have a 4210 jig. I made some calls and was told that the angle was 14 degrees so I ordered based on that. It runs and sets up fine but when I make the cut the tails are too big for the holes. I figure I must be doing something wrong. I went on line yesterday to try and find a PC bit like the one they sent me but I can't find one. Any idea why the set up would produce a tail that is not sized for the hole?

T

toolferone

That jig makes half blind DT. I have not played to much with that unit yet. Page 17 of the manual says for half blind DT to use a 17/32" 7 degree bit. It sounds like you might have the wrong bit. With the problems I heard with their bits I would look at a aftermarket one. I can look up at work tomorrow. You can call me at the store if I can help out more. 919-781-1911

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Tom, I have a 4210 jig. I made some calls and was told that the angle was 14 degrees so I ordered based on that. It runs and sets up fine but when I make the cut the tails are too big for the holes. I figure I must be doing something wrong. I went on line yesterday to try and find a PC bit like the one they sent me but I can't find one. Any idea why the set up would produce a tail that is not sized for the hole?

Lorraine is the bit on the left in the pic the original one that worked which was damaged? Just looking at the pic it appears the bit on the right is a different angle.

I searched online and that jig uses a PC# 43776 dovetail bit. I looked in my Whiteside catalog and their replacement is Whiteside D7-531...it's a 7 degree dovetail bit. Priced around 18 dollars online.

That seems to agree with the picture you showed. I would get the Whiteside bit. Please verify before ordering. I have the Whiteside catalog in PDF and can email if you like. It's around 1.5 MB.

I'm not sure who you talked to but this info is readily available online. They musta made a boo-boo. :lol:

Chuck

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Yes, Chuck someone made a boo boo and I paid for it but not to worry. I just got off the phone with Woodcraft and I was given 17/32 dia., 7 degree, with 1/2" shank. Would you email me the information you have so I can order please. lwhughes149@yahoo.com
Am I to understand that a dovetail jig can have an angle that keeps one from using a simple dovetail bit in every jig? There is so much I don't know about woodworking. I ordered the jig because I had a Porter Cable router. I never thought it would be so much to do with replacing the bit. Thanks guys. What would I do without you? Lorraine

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Lorraine, each jig has it's own angle on the guides that MUST be matched by the correct bit angle AND DIAMETER. Once you know for sure that you have the correct bit you'll be fine in the future so don't worry.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Yes, Chuck someone made a boo boo and I paid for it but not to worry. I just got off the phone with Woodcraft and I was given 17/32 dia., 7 degree, with 1/2" shank. Would you email me the information you have so I can order please. lwhughes149@yahoo.com
Am I to understand that a dovetail jig can have an angle that keeps one from using a simple dovetail bit in every jig? There is so much I don't know about woodworking. I ordered the jig because I had a Porter Cable router. I never thought it would be so much to do with replacing the bit. Thanks guys. What would I do without you? Lorraine

Lorraine, Dovetail jigs rely on precision to get a tight fit. There is no guarantee that a generic 7 degree dovetail bit will work in your jig.

The specs you now have from WC sound right. Here's a link with the same info http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=454

Here's a link where you can simply download the Whiteside catalog. http://holbren.com/pages.php?pageid=1

Chuck

MarkW

New User
Mark
I bought the Whiteside bits to replace my PC ones. There is no comparison between the two brands. Sorry you are having such problems with your jig. They are notoriously hard to get tuned but once you do they do make a nice dovetail.

Goodluck!

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
For all those who have helped me with this problem, I say a hardy thank you. One thing about woodworking, you are always learning something new. I went looking through my catalogs this morning and found a Woodcraft catalog. There was the Porter Cable jig and the bit. It should be delivered within a couple of days. And to think, I thought a dovetail bit was a dovetail bit. No Way. I must say the PC joint I made with that bit were nice, best I have ever turned out. If you remember I was using a Craftsman jig, burnt up the bit and finally resorted to PC. Thanks again for the help. Will I ever finish my kitchen? Lorraine:BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS