DONE. WTB: Dovetail Saw

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Anyone have a used saw they don’t use?

Looking for a used dovetail saw to try my hand at using hand tools and focusing on craftsmanship instead of just throwing something together that’s functional. I’m not wanting to break the bank, but I also recognize that I don’t know the first thing about saws so I don’t need a project saw. I see good reviews of the Veritas, just not quite willing to spend that much on a saw at this stage.

Thanks for your consideration.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Thanks, Chris. Looks like you may have some privacy settings that prevent me from PM’ing you.
If you want to make the trip to my shop I'll make you one and can show you the basics of sharpening and setting. I'll give you the saw.

If you want/need any help with other hand tools I can probably make that happen as well....

I'll send you a PM and we can discuss.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The most expensive saw is one that does not work so you can't learn from it. A dovetail saw is a lifetime tool so consider that in the price.

After much frustration, early Tzack backsaw, a couple gents saws, a Dozuki and never could be consistent, I bought a Florip. Unfortunately Erik passed away, but it proved to me the saws were the problem. I could not learn with a saw that did not cut strait.

There have been several You-Tube "cut-offs" of dovetail saws recently. Veritas does well as does Cosman and Blue Spruce. (I think Green closed shop and moved to Blue Spruce which explains how good their saws are) Bad Axe did not do well which surprised me.

I also picked up a Suizan Dozuki and sure enough, it cuts strait too. So my first cheap one was junk. Gents saws just don't feel right to me. I don't know if any gents saws are well tuned from the factory as they usually are on the cheap end. I do OK with Japanese saws, but prefer the Western. Do try a Dozuki as a good one is $30, not $130. You may like them. They do better in softwoods than Western hardwood. Don't try to dovetail Purpleheart as you'll break teeth.

My early Tzack saw I thought was defective as the blade was not strait. After I sold it I found out all it needed was a smack on the spine to reseat the blade. I am sure well tuned, it would have been great but the TPI was a bit courser than a modern Dovetail. More like my Spears and Jackson I tuned up.

Best bet is to visit members that have different saws and see which one works for you. With a good saw, both Western and Japanese, you can then adjust your stance and practice practice practice. I never learned anything with bad saws. I learned a lot from a few trusted You-Tubers on stance and tilt once I got a trustworthy saw.

Learning how a saw should work, I was able to tune my mid-price ( S&J, Crown) saws as tenon rip and crosscut to cut strait. Yup, it is the tune, not the blade or even how pretty the handle is. A dovetail saw is even finer teeth and I have not progressed to that level yet for tuning. The difference between a cheap crappy saw and a expensive saw are how nice the handle is and TUNING. All the steel is about the same. Tune makes it work.

I have yet to come to terms with either a coping saw of fret saw. I may pay the price for a Knew and see if the saws are the problem, or I just need a lot more practice.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
If you want to make the trip to my shop I'll make you one and can show you the basics of sharpening and setting. I'll give you the saw.

If you want/need any help with other hand tools I can probably make that happen as well....

I'll send you a PM and we can discuss.
That is extremely generous. I need all the help I can get. Looking forward to your message to set something up.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
The most expensive saw is one that does not work so you can't learn from it. A dovetail saw is a lifetime tool so consider that in the price.

Learning how a saw should work, I was able to tune my mid-price ( S&J, Crown) saws as tenon rip and crosscut to cut strait. Yup, it is the tune, not the blade or even how pretty the handle is. A dovetail saw is even finer teeth and I have not progressed to that level yet for tuning. The difference between a cheap crappy saw and an expensive saw are how nice the handle is and TUNING. All the steel is about the same. Tune makes it work.
From seeing different comments here over the past several weeks I have come to the same conclusions. Don’t waste time or money on a cheap tool, but I don’t think it should have to break the bank either to be able to learn the basics.

Looks like Chris will be able to help me learn to tune as well.

bbrown

Bill
User
I have a number of quality dovetail saws in almost new condition from my woodworking school which I closed down last year. Would be happy to get you one for cheap if you are not already set....
Best to use my email since I always forget to look for mail here: dei.gratia123@gmail.com
-Wm. Brown

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I have a number of quality dovetail saws in almost new condition from my woodworking school which I closed down last year. Would be happy to get you one for cheap if you are not already set....
Best to use my email since I always forget to look for mail here: dei.gratia123@gmail.com
-Wm. Brown
I have the Veritas available as well if that's how you want to go.
Jim
Thank you both for responding. I think Chris will get me straightened out when I visit his shop next weekend.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
-Wm. Brown
Bill, I would be interested in this, plus I am only 20 minutes from Albemarle...

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I had a good afternoon yesterday at @Chris C shop. I left with a really nice dovetail saw with some good practice instructions and also had an informative class on plane iron sharpening.

Thanks again for having me over, Chris! Looking forward to doing it again sometime.
It was my pleasure. It's always good to have visitors in the shop. Hopefully we can do it again soon.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS