Donation announcemnts

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
In theory, what I'm about to suggest is a great idea, I think:widea: However, in reality it might create too much work for bean counters but here goes;

I would like to see a collapsable box somewhere for donations received in Honor or Memory of members. Like Church bulletins and other non-prof org's have in news letters.

It could be posted weekly or monthly. This would give members like me the opportunity to not just say thanks to the folks that helped with the Angel project but be able to honor them with a donation.
I realize I and anyone can do this anyway but it makes it more satisfying when it's known publicly.

Is this worthwhile?:eusa_thin

Barbara

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I like the idea of donating in honor or memory of someone. However, donations to NCWW are meant to be private, to ensure people don't feel pressured to donate and to ensure those who did don't feel privileged. We have some members who bend that policy that by posting they just remembered to make a donation and/ or encourage others to do so, but it's very low key. If we visibly display who donated how much in honor of whom, then we completely abandon the privacy aspect.

It's also a lot of bean counting.

b4man

New User
Barbara
The amount donated is usually not included with an announcement.
For example:

A donation was made to NCWW'rs in Honor of Scott Miller or ScottM for his help in the Heartstrings Project
by Barbara Forman or b4man

or

Donations were received in Memory of Randy Osborne
by Barbara Forman, Rob Payne, Cathy Skipper

or

Memorials and Honorariums

Honor of Steve Coles
by BForman
etc.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the concept. No not because she used me as an example. :embaresse Of course if we were to implement there would have to be three conditions. First no amount would be posted. In fact the donation could be none financial (wood, tools, classes, etc). Second it could only be viewed by registered users. Third, and most important, the donor would have to specify they want the donation made public.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The concept is a great gesture. However This is from the donate page:

Donations are completely voluntary, and, for a variety of reasons, must be anonymous. Any time there is money involved, there is the danger of creating two classes of users - those who pay, and those who don't. Also, making donor information public brings the risk of setting a "minimum" that people are expected to donate. Not everyone can afford to spend the same amount, especially in these difficult economic times. So, if you wish to donate, do it because you want to, not because it's "expected". And if you choose to donate, the amount is entirely up to you.
By completing the donation process, you are agreeing to the following:

1. There will be no public acknowledgement of either your donation or its amount.
  2. Your donation does NOT entitle you to any special access on the site.
  3. Your donation does NOT entitle you to any extra say in the running of either the Web site or the overall North Carolina Woodworker Community.
  4. You are making this contribution without any prior commitment or expectations from the management of North Carolina Woodworker.
If these conditions are not acceptable to you, then please, don't donate.
There have been 3 ways to make your contribution. You may pay via Credit Card or PayPal. In these two cases, click on the "Donate" button below. This will take you to the Donation page where you can select the amount you wish to donate. From there, you'll be taken to the PayPal site. If you don't wish to pay via your Pay Pal account, don't login, Just click on the "continue" link to the left of the login box and you may pay via Credit Card. Please note that in this case PayPal is simply the Credit Card Processor.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I understand the rules that were placed for "donations" once the need for money became apparent. But they were done so for the express reason to finance the site. What I propose isn't about funding NCWW as much as it is showing appreciation for our members that deserve more than just a "thank you".

It's one thing to reject the idea because it creates too much work for the volunteer staff and quite another to use the rules as the excuse. The rules here have changed in the past two years to suit the increasing traffic and deal with the array of personalities we have attracted. I expect in the future we'll find more reasons to change the rules here.

I felt this was a way to offer an incentive to donate. It's easier and at least tax deductible to donate to any number of charities in honor of the folks here and it would accomplish the same thing. It just would have been nice to have been recognized among their peers.

Barbara

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Barbara, I meant no harm. I really like your idea. We put in place a set of donation rules. If we constantly modify the rules then we seem wishy washy. We need strict guidelines that control our donations. The future of our non profit status hinges on doing the proper thing as far as donations and contributions are concerned. Achieving non profit status will be a huge benefit to all of us. So, in closing I would ask that we look at the non profit rules before we do anything related to fundraisers, raffles, donations, donation drives, etc., public or private. But please keep in mind; I really like your idea:icon_cheers:icon_cheers. Am I rambling? Why Yes I Am.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors