Dog Crate/Coffee Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

evanmace

New User
Evan
I'm building a dog crate/coffee table for my dad. Is there any finish that would withstand the abuse dogs would do to it? I'm pretty ignorant about finishing, so any help would be appreciated.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm building a dog crate/coffee table for my dad. Is there any finish that would withstand the abuse dogs would do to it? I'm pretty ignorant about finishing, so any help would be appreciated.
There's the table top, and there's the crate. Both will get some abuse, but the type and intensity will vary. Keep in mind that nothing will stand up to chewing. Not even paint.

For the crate, you want something that's tough. Polyurethane would work well. Unfortunately, poly is difficult to repair. On the other hand, a varnish like Waterlox produces a hard finish, which is less resistant to scratches, but it's relatively easy to repair. Shellac is very easy to repair, but hard and somewhat brittle. Since the crate is enclosed, I would not use anything oil-based for the inside, or it will take forever to off-gas.

For the top, scratches from dog claws/ nails are less of a concern. You could go with Behlen's Rock Hard varnish for that. But Waterlox would work well too. Shellac might not be the best choice if there is a high chance of water/ alcohol spillage. A water-bourne finish such as polycrylic is also an option, but you'll probably want to put shellac or boiled linseed oil underneath it for some color.

So, all things considered, I'd put three coats of Minwax polycrylic on the inside of the crate, 4 coats of Waterlox on the outside of the crate, and 5-6 coats of Waterlox for the table top.

But there are lots of other options. What kind of wood are you using?

evanmace

New User
Evan
Thanks Bas,
I was intending on using pine for most of it; a tile top with a plywood substrate.
My plan won't have it completely enclosed. So if I use an oil-based would I still have a problem with off-gassing? Here is a screenshot of my plan.
Screen_shot_2011-09-07_at_10_38_05_AM.png

View image in gallery

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
My plan won't have it completely enclosed. So if I use an oil-based would I still have a problem with off-gassing? Here is a screenshot of my plan.
Pine is a very soft wood, so if you're looking to increase the piece's durability, that's where I'd start. A hard finish over a soft wood doesn't help a whole lot. Pine dents and scratches easily, so even without excessive chewing/ clawing the crate will look worn quite quickly. Something like white oak would do much better. Off-gassing won't be a problem with this construction, you'll have enough airflow. With all the slats, sanding in order to refinish will be a tedious process though.

Epoxy is probably the toughest finish you can put on, but it's difficult to repair. If you know you're not likely to ever refinish the piece, epoxy definitely has the best survival chances.

All things considered, I'd probably go with Waterlox or another oil-based varnish that doesn't require sanding in order for the next coat to adhere (which polyurethane does).

BTW, love the design!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to the suggestions from other members. If you're going to go with a lighter tone wood like pine you might consider ash or hickory in addition to white oak. They're all very hard. Waterlox "Original Sealer/Finish" is an excellent recommendation that's easily repairable when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS