Does anyone remember Penncraft Tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donald.woolley

New User
Donald
More specifically, does anyone remember what shade of blue their woodworking tools tended toward?

My mother-in-law gave me what is definitely a Sargent No.409 smoothing plane, but it is completely unmarked other than the standard “Made in USA “.

penncraft.jpg

I know that Sargent made tools for JCPenney under the Penncraft name in the 1950s and, I vaguely recall Penncraft tools being this shade of blue. A now missing sticker on the levercap would have been the only true identification, so I am just going on the blue paint.

After Sargent stopped making planes, Penncraft planes were just low-end Stanley Handyman planes—painted blue. Even that stopped when JCPenney dropped their tool line in the mid-1980s, around the same time they dropped their own branded firearms and automotive products.

So, does anyone have an old blue Penncraft tool that they can give confirmation with?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would say that one has been repainted. Remove the frog and gently scrape the paint to see if there is another color underneath.

donald.woolley

New User
Donald
Well, that certainly appears to be a Sargent jack, but it is a much darker blue than I was remembering. Does anyone have any guesses as to other companies that Sargent could have made mine for?

donald.woolley

New User
Donald
And now, I am right back where I started--it might be a Penncraft. I found this picture of Penncraft braces in the same color (either end):

BracesB-2013.JPG

And this picture of a late model (Stanley made) Penncraft smoother

$(KGrHqF,!k8FGkjH8C9rBRsi1c5ks!~~60_57.JPG

which is in the same dark blue and red color scheme as a Stanley Handyman, but the label stuck onto the lever cap is in the same shade of blue as my plane and the braces. I am going to guess that JCPenney was not that picky about uniformity of color.

I would still like to hear if anyone remembers Penncraft Tools. Or better yet, still uses some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS