Disston Hand saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnick

New User
Nick
Is there a Disston handsaw expert on this site? I need information about sawnuts used on Disston model 12 handsaws. I have a model 12 that does not have any sawnuts. So I bought some off Ebay and they are too large. Then I took some other Disston saws I have and tried them, still too large. The holes in my model 12 blade are only .190 in diameter! :eusa_thin

Lamar

New User
Lamar
Nicholas,

I checked through my collection of saw nuts and also checked my Disston saws that range from late 1800s thru WWII era. They are all the same dia, close to .210

What you have must be of the older split nut type.

They generaly do not survive removal as many bradded the end of the threads to tighten the handle. If you should find a source for these please let me know.

I had the same problem with an older saw, but as I wanted it for a user, I simply took a small round file and opened up the holes to acomadate the later type nuts.

Should you decide use this method. I learned to size the first hole and put it on the saw, lightly clamp the handle and work the others with it attached to ensure proper location.

Regardless its a good find.

Lamar

woodnick

New User
Nick
Thanks Lamar. That's most likely what I have, could you describe what a split nut should look like? Thanks Nick

Lamar

New User
Lamar
Nicholas,

Check out the site that Jim posted (Thanks Jim thats is some good info) The refferance is to the round nut itself having a groove cut across it, thus the apperance of being split, and requiring basicaly an over sized screw driver with a slot in the middle to clear the threads to the remove it.

These pretty much went by the way by the saw makers in the area of 1870s to my understanding.

BTW: to make dust with a saw that age should be listed under gloat dept.:icon_thum

Lamar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS