Disston D20 Circa 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
I stopped by the flea market in Siler City again and picked up this saw for a song.

After some work to clean the blade and see the etch, I can see part of the large "D", but I am stuggling to see the number inside. I am reasonably sure I can see a "zero" and research at Vintagesaw.com leads me to believe this is a D20 and dates around 1911. If anybody has an tricks for getting the etch to "pop", please let me know.

Disston_D20_Saw.jpg

It matches this saw.
http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=main&right=/museum/museum.html

It has the notch in the handle (unfortunately, it also has a broken horn) which is supposed to indicate circa 1911.

Disston_D20_Handle.jpg

The medallion matches the 1896-1917 picture at the disstonianinstitute.com

Disston_D20_Medallion.jpg

So, I am pretty stoked to have a saw that is probably 100 years old! I'm not sure what use I have for a 10 PPI saw, but I intend to use it. It needs a few strokes with a file, but I'll take care of that when I have some time.

Brian

Attachments

• Disston D20 Saw.jpg
    Disston D20 Saw.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 136

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
It's your saw. If you can sharpen it, you can recut it to another tooth pattern. For instance, you could remove every other tooth and make it a 5PPI Rip.

You could try Cold bluing to color the etch and then polish it back with 600 grit. Do it it with a hard backed sanding block and put the plate on a fully supported surface like a pad of news paper. Use WD40 or simple-Green as a sanding lube. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors