Differences of Vacuum cyclone separators

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
In reading @Patrick Rose thread here: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/dust-separator.77922/#post-723197

It brought to mind the myriad options of cyclones available today - Dust Deputy, Clearview and the Chinese / Amazon etc. options.

The question:
I wonder what the difference is between the clear view and dust deputy versus the Chinese knock-offs? Are the Chinese / Amazon etc. options simply cheap or are they a "Valid option" and equally effective? (Or is there "secret sauce" in the name brand versions?)

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
About the only way to tell is if someone got some and we did a comparison. I see one for $30 that looks to be similar. I have not looked at the H-F one, but again, picture is similar to Oneida. Some, the picture shows them to be much shorter, so I would be skeptical. Then there is the new sideways JET. No idea on the performance.

Not quite sure how to test. The hardest thing to vacuum is drywall compound. If it can separate that, it can separate anything. One would need to weigh some quantity, weigh what is in the bucket and weigh the vac bag. New bag every time. The cost of Fein bags would make that an expensive test. I notice vacs for construction/drywall still seem to have screens and brushers or shakers.

There is no secret sauce. Only fluid dynamics. Some companies, CV, Oneida, have engineers and spent the time and money to develop the product. Some companies ( countries) just rip off the designs. I only know how well mine works and I have never heard a complaint about the DD. I prefer to reward the originators, but sometimes budget dictates the rip-off.

I do see DD has "reinforced" bin covers. The thin bucket lid I mounted mine on collapsed so I had to add an MDF plate.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I don't think there is any secret to how these work. The patent for the cyclone separator dates from 1885. I would bet knock-off cyclones are equally efficient or very nearly so to the premium brands. I think what you are paying for is the quality of the materials and accessories.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
A criticism of the Harbor Freight cyclone that I've seen is that it's not as sturdy (e.g. thinner and/or cheaper plastic) than a Dust Deputy.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Funny, I was yesterday-years old when I found out that Harbor Freight carried a cyclone separator - $40, or $32 with the 20% off coupon. Less than half the cost of the DD. (you can also get the older bare-bones DD for $40) I'm using my shopvac a lot lately since I haven't gotten my electrical in the garage finished yet and can't run my dust collector. Watched a few YouTube videos on it and decided I might go pick one up today. From other's experience:
  • It doesn't come with any kind of gasket, so put some silicone on to seal to the bucket lid.
  • Put your bucket in another bucket to reinforce against it imploding - I'm skeptical about this one
  • Add a plywood/mdf disc to reinforce the bucket lid.
This was one of the videos i was watching:
This was a follow-up to his first video where he did not have great results, and decided to implement some viewer feedback, and it performed much better. He put it on a bucket dolly to help it's tendency to knock over.

If my shopvac was going to be my primary means of dust collection for the long term, I might go with the DD. But for my usage, it will probably work fine.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
What will you be using it for?

I have one shop vac that collects my small bandsaw and belt/disc sander. It has a DustStopper lid on it which works quite well and is lower profile. I think it might be better than a cyclone for a mobile vac cart.

I have a separate Rigid shop vac just for vacuuming the floor. I did away with the cyclone and Godzilla cart b/c I got tired of pushing it and it took up too much space. I went to HEPA bags and HEPA filter.

I use one of those high priced HEPA dust extractors only for sander, biscuit jointer, router etc.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Another caveat is if a Thein seperator works as well or better than a Cyclone.
Depends. A standard DIY does not work as well, but one of our more clever members did the math and designed one that may be as good or better. Now, not all cyclones are any good, so it could be some comparison to one that is not the correct length/taper or size for the velocity. Velocity matters.

The Bauer does look a little smaller than my C-V.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another caveat is if a Thein seperator works as well or better than a Cyclone.

I built a Thein and put it on top of a 20 gal oil drum. Using a Ridgid vac, it works great for chips, but enough dust gets through that I clean the filter in the vac about every time 3 times I empty the drum. Where is the info on the "new and improved" one?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I built a Thein and put it on top of a 20 gal oil drum. Using a Ridgid vac, it works great for chips, but enough dust gets through that I clean the filter in the vac about every time 3 times I empty the drum. Where is the info on the "new and improved" one?
Recommend adding a bag to the vacuum and your filter will stay clean. Works very well!

prototype3a

Drew
User
Rural King used to carry the Century Container Corp 5gal bucket lids that Oneida used to CNC cut for their Dust Deputy.

I say "used to" as last time I was in the local store, they were no where to be found. Quite annoying as I wanted a couple more.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Has anyone tried making one using a 55 gallon plastic barrel?

I've read where using a 5 gallon bucket, sometimes the sides would collapse.

I was able to get a 55 gallon plastic barrel with a removable top and the metal lid clamp.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Only problem with a 55 gal drum is the weight and bulk when emptying it. I can put the 20 gal drum under the wing on my saw to get it out of the way in my small shop. If the shop was bigger, I would go that route because I do have a dolley that I could use when emptying it.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
A 5 gallon would probably be fine, 20ish would probably be perfect. I have a tendency to over complicate some things - and the 55 was free. I'm wondering if one of those fiber drums would work.

Echd

C
User
I recall seeing several reviews where the jet cyclone was pretty deficient. It was certainly interesting but it is apparently quite prone to clogging from larger chips in particular and passes through quite a bit of relatively fine dust.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I have a Dust Deputy and two that are low-profile models. Each one is connected to a Porter Cable drywall-style shop vac. The other is connected to a Bosch vac. I have never seen any difference between the Dust Deputy and the two low-profile cyclone collectors. They all pretty much what they are advertised to do. I always liked watching the dust circling around in the Dust Deputy. It gives you the impression that it is working. However, the Dust Deputy would not fit under my the router table extension on my table saw, and it wouldn't fit under my work bench. It is currently on vacation in the crawl space.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS