differences in mdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

tandemsforus

John
User
I went to the big box store the other day (about the only game in my town) and picked up a sheet of MDF for a project comming up. 29 BUCKs a sheet!!! Has it ever gone up in the past year. So much for the inflation index of mdf..
When I cut it on the saw I noticed it just didn't dust up like mdf I have cut in the past. Not sure how to say it but It felt soft. Had more of a fluff instead of dust. It felt as if it there was less glue in it or was less compressed during production.
Is there differences in MDF, Are the big box stores trying to save by lowering their quality(hard to believe) or did I just get one from a bad run.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I agree with you on the soft feel of the big box MDF. There is a density spec from the manufacturer that the stores don't seem to understand or know. I recently made a trip (about an hour each way) to The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville to buy several sheets of the "good" stuff. The 1/2" sells for $29 a single sheet or $24 for 3+ sheets. Worth my time... there is a big difference!

bobby g

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Yes There is a Differenece,

I got some from a Fellow in NC, I posted about it a couple years back, that stuff is hard. The box stores, not as good quality.

As for $29, I WISH.....Utah is Selling 49"x97" sheets for $34.45, I just checked their site. I bought it for $40 just 2 months ago...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with you on the soft feel of the big box MDF. There is a density spec from the manufacturer that the stores don't seem to understand or know. I recently made a trip (about an hour each way) to The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville to buy several sheets of the "good" stuff. The 1/2" sells for $29 a single sheet or $24 for 3+ sheets. Worth my time... there is a big difference!

bobby g

Bobby you do know that the Hardwood Store has or had flat fee delivery to the Triangle. I have no checked since last year. It was very reasonable and they came "east" twice a week.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bobby you do know that the Hardwood Store has or had flat fee delivery to the Triangle. I have no checked since last year. It was very reasonable and they came "east" twice a week.

Thanks for bringing that up Scott. The Hardwood Store still has a reasonable delivery fee of $39 to the Triangle. I chose to go there so that I could check out the MDF. Other good reasons to buy from them include that they store it flat and they will cut-down sheets to your dimensions at no charge.

bobby g

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to The Hardwood Store! Jeff Shaw and the staff go out of their way to make customer service and satisfaction a priority for their business. :icon_cheers

A few years ago they delivered about 20 bf of S4S cherry that had a lot of sapwood. Not a grading defect, but I didn't want that much and I didn't plan on staining it for blending. Jeff offered to replace the entire lot at no charge and told me to just keep what I had. We compromised and they replaced about 10 bf with good quality stuff.

Now that's some rare customer service these days! :eek:ccasion1

M

McRabbet

John,

I recommend you go over to Mountain Sawyers (they are in the old Owens Manufacturing building on US 25 in Fletcher -- building with the Cranston Print Works chimney) and get your 3/4" MDF from them. It is very good quality and you'll be supporting one of our advertisers, too. They have an excellent stock of good hardwoods and furniture grade hardwood plywoods, too. They are located at the right front corner of the main building -- you can enter via the ramp with the red railing or go around the corner and enter at the first loading dock door. This is also where the Western NC Woodworkers Association holds our monthly meetings.
I went to the big box store the other day (about the only game in my town) and picked up a sheet of MDF for a project comming up. 29 BUCKs a sheet!!! Has it ever gone up in the past year. So much for the inflation index of mdf..
When I cut it on the saw I noticed it just didn't dust up like mdf I have cut in the past. Not sure how to say it but It felt soft. Had more of a fluff instead of dust. It felt as if it there was less glue in it or was less compressed during production.
Is there differences in MDF, Are the big box stores trying to save by lowering their quality(hard to believe) or did I just get one from a bad run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS