Designing a Crib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt B.

New User
Matt
We're expecting our first child in November and I'm building the crib. I have roughly 2,000 bf of hickory laid out in my shop now and wow, there is a lot of beautiful wood to choose from.

I just have a few thoughts on the design of this crib; hopefully those of you who've built one can give some advice.

To start with, I really like the one Matt Cremona made and showed on his YouTube channel. He used mortise & tenon joinery and pinned the joints with brass pins to make it able to be disassembled and stored. My wife has showed me pictures of what she likes, which is straight posts as opposed to tapered ones and straight spindles vs. cigar-shaped. I'll gladly build what she wants; compromise is key, right?

I think I'll go ahead and buy the mattress to know exactly what size the frame should be. A search of mattresses on Amazon shows they're all roughly the same size, give or take an inch. It looks like the guideline says there should be no more than an inch of space between the mattress and frame, so I want to get this right.
Support for the mattress: I've seen slat-type supports and spring-type supports. Either way, it should be adjustable. Is there an advantage of springs over slats?
Joinery/Construction: I like mortise & tenon joints. Manufactured cribs, at least the one's I've seen, seem to use hardware and bed-type construction for ease of assembly. Do you have any input on how the frame should come together? I guess what it comes down to is making tight, square joints.

Spindles: The standard spacing is no more than 2 3/8" between spindles. I think it's better to not glue these but ensure they're nice and tight, to allow them to be taken out if need be. I'll get the frame built and then lay out the spindles using dividers.

Finish: This is a long way off but I'd like to hear some thoughts on this. I understand that all modern finishes (not containing lead) are food safe once they've cured and therefore baby safe. Although I doubt it's a huge problem, I still don't like the idea of a baby chewing or licking lacquer or poly. So I'm leaning towards shellac and wax. Also, ease of finishing a bunch of round spindles is a factor. Any input on finishes; is it even a big deal? I know this is getting into the weeds and may open up a can of worms...

I know there's a bunch of threads out there on cribs already but I just want some input on those little details. Thanks all for looking.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Finishes is not a big deal when it comes to safety. Once cured they should all be fine. But if you're concerned or want to be very conservative, consider shellac (used to make capsules for pills and candy) or one of the drying oils like Walnut or linseed or Flax Oil. I've even heard that once dried Walnut Oil is even safe for those with nut allergies - can't verify this scientifically though.

The wood whisperer has a very good video segment on finishes relating to his cutting board project.

Matt B.

New User
Matt
Thanks guys. I've read Flexner's finishing book, in which he tackles the 'food safe' myth. So I suppose my caution regarding plastic finishes is unnecessary.

So far I'm heavily leaning towards mortise & tenon joinery as opposed to hardware, to hold it together.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Shellac isn't a great finish for moist environments. Probably not ideal for standing up to disinfectants either.

Shellac is beautiful and food safe but not for something that will go through frequent soiled/cleaning routines.

You may want to consider a more durable finish.

JGregJ

New User
Greg
Curious, why might one need to remove the spindles?
I can see the need to be able to break down the crib for storage and moving, just not sure if breaking it completely down into individual parts vs components (head, foot, side) is important?

Matt B.

New User
Matt
Greg, I've seen a few people remove spindles to allow a toddler to enter the crib easier, if the crib is designed to be a toddler bed, too.

awldune

Sam
User
Curious, why might one need to remove the spindles?
I can see the need to be able to break down the crib for storage and moving, just not sure if breaking it completely down into individual parts vs components (head, foot, side) is important?

The main reason Matt Cremona gave for this was in case the baby's extremity gets stuck in the bars. I'm dubious as to the likelihood of this, but maybe it is more of a risk if your spindles are not cylindrical.

His son was able to pull the spindles out, which seems problematic.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The main reason Matt Cremona gave for this was in case the baby's extremity gets stuck in the bars. I'm dubious as to the likelihood of this, but maybe it is more of a risk if your spindles are not cylindrical.

His son was able to pull the spindles out, which seems problematic.

As with most everything nowadays there a government regulation about space between the bars of a crib. I'm sure my tax dollars were put to good use on the development of the regulation --- :sarc

Have a look here --->https://www.cpsc.gov/safety-education/safety-education-centers/cribs

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
My $0.02 having built two cribs:

Support for the mattress:
Is there an advantage of springs over slats?
The only advantage I can see is that a factory-made spring-set guarantees the mattress is fully and permanently supported everywhere. But you could achieve the same thing by installing a piece of 3/4" ply as the base for the mattress - or a well constructed set of slats.

(Spring sets may have been more important back when drop-side cribs were the norm - there was no support on one side of the mattress as a result)

Joinery/Construction:
You want tight, clean joints with no protrusions to catch clothing. I'm sure some forms of knock-down M&T joinery would work. Metal fasteners - bed bolts, bed-rail fasteners, etc - are simple and proven and *some* can provide a very clean look.

Spindles:
I don't see the benefit in making the spindles removable. If the slats are easily removable, they may be for your kids too. If arms or legs get caught between the slats, freeing them is a reversible process.

Finish: I think its not a big deal. I would pick something reasonably durable and well-suited to application (I think I used spray NC lacquer for both of mine). Expect your child to chew or teethe on the top rails and you can plan accordingly, e.g. leave it raw or some companies sell plastic 'teething rails' for cribs.

Cheers,
-Mark

Last edited:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
As a mom of 3, grandmother of 6, great grandmother of 1 1/2. The government regulation will work. Do not make the spindles removable, the kid will figure it out. The mattress needs to be high when the baby is little and lower as it grows. That makes it harder for him/her to climb out. As soon as that becomes a possibility, a toddler bed is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors