Design ideas, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
I know no one here is very opinionated :wink_smil but thought I'd ask anyway...

I am trying to finish up a tiletop kitchen trestle table. LOML put 3 table pictures in front of me and said build me that! (like thats never happened to anyone else :no:) So it has evolved slowly.

Anyway I have dry fitted the trestle legs together and I am generally pleased with it, but i thought the base on the floor seemed a little heavy looking and wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to lighten the look, maybe a little more graceful. (It is supporting a heavy tile top, so I still need substance to it). Anyway can't promise I'll take your advice, but I'd love to hear it anyway!

IMG_0860a.jpg

Here is my original cardboard mockup to give a better sense of the look...
100_0784a.JPG

the wood is brazilian lyptus and I hope to have it finished soon. Of course pictures will follow.

Thanks
Dan

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Dan IMHO I think the base looks fine but if you would want to cut a little more out of the bottom profile I think that would not be bad either - Like you say you need the size to hold that top M2CW

nelsone

New User
Ed
Set the top on it before you try to lighten the base. You may find it balances out! BTW, I think it looks good so far!:icon_thum

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you chamfer (1/4") or round (3/8 - 1/2") the sharp edges, you may find that that will make a world of difference. Angling or rounding the top outside end of the feet (to match the 45 degree chamfer or roundover on the edges, whichever you choose), will also give a slimmer appearance without reducing the strength. I would not round or angle the end more than 1/2 the height of the toe edge of the foot , tho.

All that said, other than easing the edges somewhat, the proportions look good to me.

Go

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with Mark that rounding over the edges will give you a whole new look.

JohnW

New User
John
Dan, Proportions look fine to me. It's a little hard to tell from the pic but...

Looking at the bottom edge of the table top, you have a radius where the top gets thinner out towards the end. The radius on the base running out to the end looks a little less pronounced. If it is, perhaps you could tighten up the radius on the base to match the top. Might lighten it up just a bit.

But again, it looks fine the way it is.

What finish are you planning? Lyptus is one of the few woods that I like to darken with stain. And it takes a stain very evenly.

Nice work,
John W

sediener

New User
Steve
What about tapering the sides of the "feet"? An 1/8-1/4" or so from each side would lighten up the base.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
rather than reducing the base you might try thickening the top. the thicker the top the smaller the base will look and you wont loose any strength.:icon_thum nice looking table BTW.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Thanks all, I was thinking of maybe rounding over the top edge of the bottom horizontal piece and maybe the bottom edge of the top piece. Good reason to break out my new freud router too!

Good to get confirmation - this furniture building is a new endeavor for me!

Thanks again
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS