Delta X5 6" Jointer vx Shop Fox W1745

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickster

New User
Nick
I just left Klingspor's and they have both of these Jointers.... and they both are about the same price (Delta is on Sale).... Since I don't have any Experience with either.... I was hoping that one of you would have some insite... I'm looking to purchase one or the other in the morning... not sure which one I should go with....

Bryan S

Bryan
Nick, keep in mind that jointers are fairly simple machines and, are basically the same design. Look at the features each has. Does one come with a mobile base? Which one has longer beds? Hand wheels or levers for bed height adjustment. Does one fence seam easier to adjust. How about setting the knives? Some have an adjustment that makes this a lot easier.

Some features will appeal to you more than other features will or more than that feature may appeal to me. All else being equal take a look at these to help you decide.

We will be awaiting the obligatory pics.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
If they are the same price, buy the Delta as it will be a better resale in the future bcause of it's name. Almost all of the 6" jointers are manufactured in the same factory anyway. BTW, fyi Shop Fox is the line of tools that Grizzly sells at retail outlets. Not that there is anything wrong with that because I've had nothing but good luck with Grizzly.

manfre

New User
Manfre
If they are the same price, buy the Delta as it will be a better resale in the future bcause of it's name. Almost all of the 6" jointers are manufactured in the same factory anyway. BTW, fyi Shop Fox is the line of tools that Grizzly sells at retail outlets. Not that there is anything wrong with that because I've had nothing but good luck with Grizzly.
Definitely go with the Delta. While Grizzly does sell ShopFox tools, they do not support them. Complaints about ShopFox customer service are way too frequent for me to ever consider buying their tools. Most recent one I've read was on this forum. See ErnieM's thread Thinking ShopFox.... Think again.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Definitely go with the Delta. While Grizzly does sell ShopFox tools, they do not support them. Complaints about ShopFox customer service are way too frequent for me to ever consider buying their tools. Most recent one I've read was on this forum. See ErnieM's thread Thinking ShopFox.... Think again.

Sorry manfre but I have to disagree with you on this. Ernie's is the first complaint about Shop Fox customer service I've ever heard and I follow a few WW'ing forums. My understanding of his problem was one of local parts availability and downtime. My experience with them and a motor problem was excellent (including assisting me in diagnosing the problem with a multimeter over the phone with the service tech which prevented the hassle of me having to ship the broken motor back to them) and they did everything they could to make me happy. I did have to wait on UPS to ship a replacement (under warranty, 3 days from Bellingham, WA). For a home woodworker their tools are the best bang for the buck for a new tool. Their 2 year warranty can't be beat. If you need replacement parts down the road just don't expect to run down to the DeWalt store and pick it up. If I had a business to run and needed to have it working every day I wouldn't consider it for this reason. I can live without a jointer for a week or two. I have connections if I get desperate:gar-La;

The likleyhood you will have a problem with a jointer will be immediately after you receive it and it will be an electrical or machining issue. Later on you may need to replace the belt, bearings, start capacitor or switch and these are pretty generic parts should you not want to deal with Shop Fox, Delta (actually Chang Type Industrial Co., Ltd. of Taiwan) or whoever makes the jointer you get.

Shame you didn't get the Powermatic. That was a good'un.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I have to agree with Mark. Manfre, I'm not sure what your basing your info on but I'll bet you don't own any Shopfox stationary tools your self. If you did your experience would have been alot like the rest of us who do own some.
Nick , we went through this with my table saw and we know how that ended. I can only tell you that when you ask for advice about all these tools you have to realize that nobody knows what you are comfortable with as far as height (of the tool), what you are capable of (as far as maintenence),what you see that meets your expectations .You are the guy who is gonna have to live with your purchase and use it to it's capabilities. Who cares what anybody else thinks of the tools you choose. In some respects, you will learn from your choices and if somebody else likes something for a very different reason you might end up mad and resentfull.If you see something that you feel comfortable with and it does the job you have in mind then go for it.Get the best warranty on the machine that you know you can get parts if you need them ,and enjoy it. Make some sawdust.
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS