Delta SS250 scroll saw vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
We couldn't even get the case opened up. We took out all the screws listed in the owner's manual but it still seemed almost welded. We decided to leave well enough alone for now. It works sufficiently well for things other than 1 1/2" stock. Delta rep says it was not meant for that size stock. When I save enough pennies I'll upgrade.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I don't use my scroll saw too much, so I don't know how much vibration is acceptable. Attached pic shows water glass test. Saw is running. When stock is into the blade, water hardly moves. But I can't take a pic and hold the stock at the same time. So, SS wizards; is mine OK?

Bigger pic in gallery.

Joe

cskipper

Cathy
If the saw doesn't vibrate too much to cut the pattern you want in the wood you want then it "passes". If you have too much vibration to cut the pattern you want try slowing down the speed. If that doesn't work check the saw's spec's - you might be cutting stock that is too large for the capability of the machine. Another consideration is how your saw is "mounted" - is it secured to a solid surface or sitting on top of a surface without being clamped/screwed in place.

The real difference is in the motion of the arm/blade movement - C-arm vs parallel arm. If you don't have a Hawk or other higher end machine you have some version of a C-arm which will have more vibration than the other type. You can't make a C-arm act like a parallel arm machine. Personally I am hoping to some day acquire a Hawk.

KWLTLL

New User
Kevin
Hey Dave. My scrollsaw is an older Craftsman that I have had several years. It vibrated badly from day one. I made a stand for it and attached the saw to it. The extra weight of the stand significantly reduced the vibration, and I am still using my old Craftsman, although I would like a better saw soon.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have since moved on to a better Ryobi saw. It is a night and day difference. The vibration is gone but I still can't saw worth a dang:eusa_doh:

Dave:)

Last edited:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Dave, I have the solution to your vibration. I saw it at the shown in Charlotte. It is a German made scrollsaw. The man doing the demo placed a nickel on the table of the saw and did a cut and the nickel didn't even move. He was using his mid size saw of the 3 or 4 in his booth and it was only $1000+.:mrgreen:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Do you think that they will accept my daughter in trade...I'll expect some change:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am not familiar with that saw but if it is anything like a Hawk, then it is very much worth the money. I don't know how they do it, but they make one fine saw. Why can't the other guys catch on and make one that is affordable.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
They will probably want your daughter and your right arm. You would think that you could get a good quality one for a good price, but that doesn't seem to be the way of the world anymore. It is one end of the spectrum or the other....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS