Delta or Jet table saw? - NOW A GLOAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
Hi all,

I am thinking about picking up a tablesaw during the woodcraft sale this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any comments on either of the two I am considering.

On a fairly limited budget, so anything above $1k is really out of my range at the moment. I am looking at these:

Delta Hybrid 36-715 or Jet Proshop JPS-10

There were a couple others I might have been able to stretch my money for, but they were 230v and I only have 120 in my garage.

Any thoughts or opinions is appreciated! :wsmile:

Dave

Last edited:

dave

New User
Dave
Re: Delta or Jet table saw?

Yeah, the 220 is more limiting that my budget at the moment. Just added 4 120 circuits and don't have much room in the panel left. :wsad:

Dave

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member

Dave you would most likely be satisfied with either of those saws. I have the Delta hybrid with the Beis fence and so far I have been pleased. I do not have 220 in my shop yet so that played a big factor in my decision. I believe Bas has the Jet model and I expect he will chime in.

Popular Woodworking Nov. 2007 reviewed hybrid table saws including those 2 saws. they basically said you would not go wrong with any of the ones they tested.

dave

New User
Dave

What about Steel City saws? How do they rate? Found another that meets my requirements (limitations).

Steel City 35900

Woodcraft only shows the 35905 however which is 230v.

dave

New User
Dave

Thanks Bas, but I am not sure if that helped or not as now the woodtek is in the running! :gar-Bi

One thing that stands out about the Steel City is the riving knife. Both it and the Jet have 5 year warranties. I guess I'll to run out to woodcraft and woodworkers supply and see if they have these models on the floor to look at them.

Thanks for the input so far everyone! Any additional advice?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

I think a riving knife would be a terrific feature to have. Having said that, the Craftsman 22124 and Steel City 35930 have good splitters/ guards that are fairly easy to remove. From what I've read, the riving knife on the Steel City 35900 is not easy to remove/ replace, so if you have the option for some "hands-on" investigation, that would be very useful. Not too many stores, carry the SC 35900, and it's several hundred dollars over your budget.

Other advice:
The reviews indicate all the hybrid saws are excellent, from the ones you listed, none of them was significantly better than the others.
Don't settle for stamped steel wings to save a few dollars, definitely get cast iron ones.
See what kind of fence you prefer. Some love the Unifence style, others swear by the Biesemeyer.
There are many after-market guards and splitters available, so don't let that be a deal breaker
The cost of the saw will pale in comparison to combined cost of the miter gauges, blades, featherboards, outfeed tables, digital readouts and other gizmos :)

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken

Try to reach Steel City by phone or email Dave. I think you'll find nobodys home.
I was wanting their 17" drill press but after hearing that they may be folding I tried to contact them. I understand their top dogs have left to head up Generals US based distribution in Tenn.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Dave,

I thought you'd already put in (or were planning) a 220 circuit. Did I just dream that? FYI: with half height breakers you just need one slot to add a 220 circuit. IMHO it's well worth it.

Trav

dave

New User
Dave

It was on my list of possible additions, but with everything else I've done recently (new AC, air filter, router & router table, garage door conversion) it got pushed back.

I am leaning heavily towards the Jet saw and it will accept either 115 or 230, it's just prewired for 115. That will be more than enough for what I am doing now and I'll still have the option to switch to 230 if I need to.

nicemac

New User
Kevin

Try to reach Steel City by phone or email Dave. I think you'll find nobodys home.
I was wanting their 17" drill press but after hearing that they may be folding I tried to contact them. I understand their top dogs have left to head up Generals US based distribution in Tenn.

They were based near me in Murfreesboro, TN. They have moved to California. Packed up and left. They supposedly told employees they were going to lose their jobs in advance, and were surprised when they started to unpack to find the parts the about-to-be-unemployed employees packed up were in a mess. They are estimating months to sort out mis-packed parts and such. I guess the "employees" gave them a parting gift as they fired them. Anyway, it is going to take a long time to get things sorted out, and they insist they will be back, but I sure wouldn't want to own one of their tools right now and need a part...

blazeman45

New User
Steve

I had a Jet Contractor saw for many years with "0" problems... Just got my new Jet cabinet saw and absolutely love it... I also have a few other Jet products and love them as well!! :thumbs_up

If it were me I would go with the Jet... I think you will be more than satisfied.

Also, If you want to save a little money, I have the 30" rails for an Xacata Fence new in the box... I upgraded to 52" rails on my cabinet saw. You can buy the Xacta fence on Ebay very reasonable. You would then have a great saw and could upgrade the fence.

If you are interested in my rails shoot me a PM and we can talk more... :eek:ccasion1

dave

New User
Dave
I popped into Woodcraft after work and picked up the Jet tablesaw! They did not have the model with the cast iron wings, but I can upgrade to those later if needed.

Got it assembled and ran a few cuts... very happy with it! :gar-Bi

Here's the proof...

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I popped into Woodcraft after work and picked up the Jet tablesaw! They did not have the model with the cast iron wings, but I can upgrade to those later if needed.

Got it assembled and ran a few cuts... very happy with it! :gar-Bi

Here's the proof...

Nice score :icon_thum Is the Incra miter gauge part of the gloat?

dave

New User
Dave
Nice score :icon_thum Is the Incra miter gauge part of the gloat?

Sure, we'll tack that on! :wsmile: I've actually had that for a couple months. Bought it when it went on sale. Got it for $120 and I think it's normally around $180.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS