Delta JT160 or JT360 or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I'm in the market for a small jointer. Most of my work is small so a 6" is all I need (at least for now). The Delta JT160 ($195) would be great if it does a decent job. The reviews on the web are all over the place. Some people love it; others say it's junk. One step up is the JT360 floor model ($359). Other options? Comments? Advice?

pete

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi Pete,

About a month ago I picked up the Rigid 6 inch - JP0610 for $349.00. I know of a couple of guys here at the site have it as well. I can't say that I have given it a real workout though. It has done quite well on some 4/4 oak that I initially put though it. A lot of what I had read prior to buying it complained about the assembly. I really didn't have any issues with it at all. Here is a link to a review that Tom Hintz(.sp) did on the machine.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgdjntrrvu.html

I have about 100 bdft of cherry waiting until I can afford a good planer. Then I should have a chance to put it to work some more.

So far I like it. I too looked long and hard at the Delta JT360, before I settled on the Rigid.

Wayne

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
A related question:
What is the advantage of having the fence tilt 45 degrees in and out?
When would you use one tilt over the other?

pete

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would agree with Wayne, as I also have the Rigid jointer. The Delta 160 is going to limit the length of stock you can joint well due to it's short bed. Mass is a very good thing with a jointer, at the start and end of a pass across it you can have a good bit of wood hanging off each end. I had a small 4" "bench-top" ShopSmith jointer mounted on a stand and I have almost knocked it over trying to joint long stock. The 160 also has only a 2 knife cutter head, and more knives means more cuts and smoother results.
The 360 weighs almost 5 times as much and has a full 16" longer bed to it, plus a 3 knife cutter head. If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the 360.
I recommend for that price range the Rigid, but also look into Grizzly, I would have gone that route except I am impatient and didn't want to wait on the shipping.
My .02, Dave:)

hannah01

New User
Joe
I have the JT360 and love it. It made almost perfect cuts right out of the box. :eusa_danc

The fence tilting both ways will allow you an option on which direction to feed the wood based on the grain orientation--important especially for figured woods to reduce tear out.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK, I am going to add to Pete's question about the tilting fence. What is the use of the fence tilling? I know it is used to make an angle less than 90 deg. but why would you want to do that on a jointer vs. a tablesaw? :eusa_thin
Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't know. I have never had a reason to cut that long of a bevel. You've made a good point.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Went to HD at lunch to check out the Rigid. They had it for $399, not $349. The only problem I see is that it says minimum stock thickness is 3/4". I use a lot of 1/2" boards. Is the solution as easy as adding a "skirt" to the guard so the wood doesn't go under it or is there more to it?

Re Tilt: Grain direction - I always forget about grain direction (but I'm always reminded as soon as I get going the wrong way!)

I looked at the new Grizzly. Looks like it might be a contender.

Attachments

• 0031_01.gif
    0031_01.gif
    167.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tekkadan said:
Went to HD at lunch to check out the Rigid. They had it for $399, not $349. The only problem I see is that it says minimum stock thickness is 3/4". I use a lot of 1/2" boards. Is the solution as easy as adding a "skirt" to the guard so the wood doesn't go under it or is there more to it?

That is an interesting thought. Many other jointers list the min. thickness as 1/4-1/8". You won't see me face jointing something that thin. I don't see why you couldn't joint stock thinner than 3/4" on the Rigid jointer as long as you are using good push blocks. Basically there is an opening under the guard that's a little less than 3/4" and thinner stock might not push the guard open. So I think you thought of a "skirt" should work just fine.
Grizzly's jointers have been getting great reviews lately, don't forget to factor shipping into the costs :eusa_doh:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
OK - I'm leaning heavily toward to Griz but . . .
Is there anyone out there that has a benchtop and is happy with it?

pete

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Pete:
I had the delta benchtop for several years, worked just fine with short material, but it seems as loud as the lunchbox planers and is very light (always screwed mine down to the table)
I upgraded to the Grizzy 1182Z, the fence tilts both ways (tilting toward you is better since it traps the board) and am very glad I did, the mass does make a difference
Here is a shortcut to another thread here about the same thing
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/woodworking/general.woodworking/2522-need.advice.shop.equipment.html

Good luck
Gary

sapwood

New User
Roger
Similiar to Yorkcraft and Grizzly is the Sunhill line. I helped a friend obtain a used one that has "extensions" to make 52" bed. Here's a link to their "Hot Deals" page that includes that one, 4" benchtop, and 6" benchtop. Sunhill Hot Deals.

Sapwood

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Decisions, decisions, decisions . . .

Think I'll save up a few bucks and go for the Grizzly.
Unless I come across a good used one first.
Ya'll keep your eyes open for me!

pete

M

McRabbet

FWIW, I love my Grizzly G1182HW -- only 6", but it suits me fine for now.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors