Delta being sold

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

I am reaally hoping this could be a good thing for Delta. B&D and Stanley had no idea what to do with them.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Interesting. Wonder why B&D would want to give that one up.:dontknow:

big conglomerates don't always mix with niche product lines.

supermax sanders is doing well but were a bad fit as "performax" and part of the wmh group.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Maybe Just Maybe - Delta will become what it once was when Rockwell was manufacturing the machines. There was a Rockwell manufacturing plant on Maple Ave in Carperntersville, IL. not far from where I grew up. I got a job there shortly after I graduated from high school running a Bridgeport as a apprentice. I lasted all of a few months at that job. I was young and stupid back then, but you couldn't have told me that back then. Back then you could quit one job, walk across the street and get another one and that's exactly what I did... I went across the street to work at Acme Industrial for a few months doing the same thing, running a Bridgeport. Wow that was a long time ago...

"The new company is a combination of a Taiwanese manufacturer (TOTY) and several U.S. businessmen. Delta Power Equipment will locate in Anderson, South Carolina, according to a press release from the South Carolina Department of Commerce. The company will invest $3.6 million in a new facility and create 40 new jobs."

My how times have changed... :tinysmile_cry_t:

nelsone

New User
Ed
big conglomerates don't always mix with niche product lines.

supermax sanders is doing well but were a bad fit as "performax" and part of the wmh group.

How is Delta any more niche than Porter Cable or even Dewalt? Seems that was the way B&D was heading. Seems to me that they have already cheapened Porter Cable, so this may be good for Delta. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

T

toolferone

Ed, you do know that B&D was bought by Stanley Tools. So B&D are not making the calls here.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
How is Delta any more niche than Porter Cable or even Dewalt? Seems that was the way B&D was heading. Seems to me that they have already cheapened Porter Cable, so this may be good for Delta. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

From my perspective, Delta seems to be hanging their hat on the new "industrial, made in the USA" cabinet saw. Delta's line has also always been more stationary tools than PC, Dewalt, and Stanley. Their equipment simply can't be handled in the same manner in distribution and shipping channels as the smaller "hand" tools.

That is what i see as the likely reason they are spinning them off.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
From my perspective, Delta seems to be hanging their hat on the new "industrial, made in the USA" cabinet saw. Delta's line has also always been more stationary tools than PC, Dewalt, and Stanley. Their equipment simply can't be handled in the same manner in distribution and shipping channels as the smaller "hand" tools.

That is what i see as the likely reason they are spinning them off.

Phil are you saying that Stanley wants to give up on the large stationary tool market? At least at Lowes, I see PC stationary DPs and ???

I'll tell you that they are really confusing me. (and probably their own people two:rotflm:)
With Dewalt and PC actually being competitors on many things, like routers:icon_scra:icon_scra

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wonder if the recent (albeit few) law suits involving Table Saws may have anything to do with making Delta into a separate entity. I haven't seen any reports of such litigation against makers of portable power tools (Drills, circular saws, etc.).
I think Phil is onto something as well.
In addition, how many units can they expect to sell and distribute as compared to cordless and corded drills and saws? A TS or BS will take up much more space in a warehouse or store than these items, and can a retailer expect to get as much profit margin per cubic foot from a TS as the equal volume of cordless drills?
What is their risk factor as far as spoilage from a sales associate trying to assemble a TS or BS and botching it, or letting the table rust?
Can they meet the competition out there in both quality and price?
Having said all that, I did notice a marked drop in price for the Delta 14" BS sold in Lowe's.
Delta will need to re-discover their market niche in any case.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Phil are you saying that Stanley wants to give up on the large stationary tool market? At least at Lowes, I see PC stationary DPs and ???

I'll tell you that they are really confusing me. (and probably their own people two:rotflm:)
With Dewalt and PC actually being competitors on many things, like routers:icon_scra:icon_scra

one thing is for sure it's confusing. i don't have any current inside information. i don't travel to trade shows and industry mtgs as much as i once did. so i'm talking to the guys. but i recall from the past the merging of the distribution channels was a headache. i also know that a lot people invested in this new table saw and i could see the number crunchers not wanting to see its launch through.

T

toolferone

I heard from an insider that the PC at Lowes is a spin off, with the PC name being licensed to Lowes. It is being made by someone else.

RayH

New User
Ray
I'm a bit amazed (it does not take much to do that to me:icon_scra) that there has been no public release about this on the SB&D investor web site. There are press releases as recent as 5 Jan, but nothing about this.

I wonder if someone got overenthusiastic with all the "new jobs" emphasis and got carried away:embaresse. If so, wonder where he works this week:tinysmile_cry_t:

Don Alexander

New User
Don
bait and switch tactics are never good news for the consumer regardless of genre

i always get suspicious of motive whenever a company or person is "ashamed" to put their own name on their products

to put it simply if they are "ashamed" of it why would i want it? although its likely that there are some convoluted legalities that are the driving force behind some of this increasingly common practice i think we would all be better off with some "truth in advertising"

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I'm a bit amazed (it does not take much to do that to me:icon_scra) that there has been no public release about this on the SB&D investor web site. There are press releases as recent as 5 Jan, but nothing about this.

I wonder if someone got overenthusiastic with all the "new jobs" emphasis and got carried away:embaresse. If so, wonder where he works this week:tinysmile_cry_t:
The announcement was Jan. 7. As was posted here Jan. 8,

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=348677#post348677

gators post has good additional info about the Unisaw and new products.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I did not know Stanley and B&D had merged. Missed that somehow. Still doesn't make too much sense, although Dennis made a good point on the TS concern. I hope the spin-off is a good thing for Delta. They seemed to be on track with B&D (even before B&D bought them) of cheapening their tools. I think the new TS was an effort to get back as a premium tool. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS