Delta 22-785X planer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredmiller

New User
Miller
Hello All,

I was using my Delta 22-785X planer, and was at the final pass, when I pulled out the rod to change to the slower feed rate. The rod came completely out of the machine, followed by a stream of oil.

I re-inserted the rod, which seemed to stop the flow of oil, then turned the rod clockwise to re-thread it into the machine, but it won't screw in. Thinking it may be reverse-threaded, I also tried turning the rod counterclockwise -- no luck there either.

Got out the manual, and of course there's no exploded diagram to assist. Also, the oil drain and fill plugs pictured in the manual don't seem to be on my machine.

I'm a little reluctant at this point to start removing the transmission cover unless I have a better idea of what I expect to see inside. Best diagram I could find is at http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-22785x-type-planer-parts-c-3275_3571_3599.html

This has to be a simple fix, and one that hopefully doesn't require a team of guys to load the planer in my truck for a trip to the Delta doctor's office.

...any ideas or suggestions?

ehpoole

Ethan
I wish I could help you (I don't have such a planer), but it is quite probable that the rod does not thread INTO something, but rather something threads ONTO the rod (such as a locknut). In which case the answer can likely only be found inside the transmission.

If you have to go into the transmission without the luxury of an exploded diagram (and, frankly, even if you do) be sure to have a digital camera and notepad close at hand. Take plenty of pictures -- both wide overview shots and numerous closeups. Each time you remove a part, use a pencil to point to where the part was removed and take a new photos, also take a photo of the part by itself. Since the photos will all the in chronological order you should be able to reference them in reverse to reassemble your transmission. When you take pics of gears or pulleys you may want something in the photo (6" ruler for instance) that gives you some reference as to size. You may also wish to scribe a letter or number designation (if none present) in a safe place that allows you to identify the specific part later on -- and make note of it in your notes.

If you don't have a good digital camera then this is a good time to invest in one. However, in a pinch, you may be able to get by with a cellphone camera, though their picture quality -- especially in shadows -- tend to leave much to be desired. This is a case where the better the picture quality the better since it allows you to zoom in on desired detail. It also helps if the camera can do good closeup (macro) photography so you can really fill the frame with various parts.

If you are not especially mechanically inclined (not all woodworkers are), then this is a great time to make friends with another NCWW'er in your area that is and have them lend you a hand some weekend.

PS - While you have the transmission open it is a great time to replace seals such as O'rings before you develop leaks in the future. (My guess is that there is an O'ring that seals the rod, thus explaining the surge of oil when it was removed.)

Above all else, good luck!:icon_thum

T

toolferone

C_Documents_and_Settings_Tom_Ferone_Local_Settings_Temporary_Internet_Files_Content.jpg

No ideas, but here is the diagram.

fredmiller

New User
Miller
Well, here I am on a Sunday nite answering my own posting. Just thought is might benefit someone else in the future if I document the outcome.

I got the chains and wheels removed, pryed the transmission case apart, and was presented with two sets of gears loose in my hands. Setting them aside, I found the fork has come unscrewed from the pushrod. Easy fix to reassemble it, and I used some high-grade Lock-tite on the threads. I finally got the reassemble sequence figured out for the gears and got the planer put back together. Only remaining thing to do is refill the gearbox with oil.

I did take the tip about marking the parts, and marked the chain positions on the wheels with White-out, which helped the reassemble step.

Done deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS