Delta 13in. planer choking up;Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

curley

New User
Jim Posey
I am sad with my Delta 13in. planer:gar-Oo: .I love the planer it does me great for my work,but can anyone help me about the dust shoot getting stopped up.I have a Sears 1 1/2 hp.dust collector hooked to it only five feet of hose and it's blowing outside through the wall.I've even cut back on my depth,so it want cut to big a chip.But sooner or later it does it again.Has anyone ever modifed the dust shoot.Any help,Thanks Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have a Delta 12½" planer, and often there are chips left in dust chute, but I've never had a clog. You planer and mine are built very similar, except yours has two speeds and a little more capacity. But the big difference might be in the dust chute configuration. It looks like yours angles off to the side where mine is straight out the back. My DC hose tend to get in the way, which makes me think that the angle could be an advantage. But possibly because the chips aren't being collected from a even distance from the cutter head some could be collecting in the far end and blocking things up. :dontknow: :dontknow:

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
I have the 22-580 13" planer. I had the same problem with chips getting clogged in the middle of that narrow dust chute. I actually slightly bent the dust hood attachment so the mouth widened just slightly (maybe 1/8" at the most) and have never had another problem with it.

curley

New User
Jim Posey
No I don't have a shop vac,it's a 4in. discharge angle to one side with a 4in. hose.Ican see where bending the shoot in the middle a little would help.It want be able to move much like you said maybe 1/8 in. or so.I tryed to look at the homemade one someboby posted but I haven't beenable to open it yet.Tks. Jim

Monty

New User
Monty
If your planer is like mine, just bend it like this:

IMG_5043.jpg

That's plenty to fix your problem.

curley

New User
Jim Posey
Yes I can see where that bending in the middle would help,I'll try it first thing tomorrow.Tks,Jim

M

McRabbet

After seeing Monty's picture of his dust chute, even modified, I'm not surprised that your are getting it clogged up. The dust hood for my DeWalt DW733 planer is a full 2" wide x 13" long where it attachs to the planer and it has an angled 4" DC connection. I've never had it clog, even on the rare occasions that I forget to put the DC hose on it (It spews chips 6-8 feet!). Smaller increments may help, but you need better air flow. Monty's mod will help, but if you shorten the DC hose, that should help, too.

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
I've got same planer and haven't had any problems . . . yet :eusa_pray
My DC is an older 3/4 HP Delta with a 10ft flex hose. IIRC it's about 650 cfm.

Roger

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
I gotta say...that looks like a pretty poor design by Delta...IMHO, of course.

My DW734 has a much larger mouth as mentioned above, never a clog. Between this and the speed selection issues some people seem to have with the Delta...:-(

zman

curley

New User
Jim Posey
Well I modifed my discharge on the planer today,I think this going to help a lot till I come up with a better way to modify the hole thing.I spread the mouth on the discharge about 1 1/2" and I bent the flat metal piece that goes on top of it.I also had to drill another hole so the flat piece would bolt down.I think this is going to work pretty well.Thanks for all the ideas,Anyone come up with anymore ideas give me a holler.Tks,Jim:new_2guns

Monty

New User
Monty
hmmm... that's a little more than I had to do. Like I said, I just bent the mouth of that chute slightly - maybe 1/8" at the most, and it works fine for me. It seems to have worked for you, but I can't recommend that anyone else bend theirs to the extent that they have to drill another hole. There have been complaints about this planer for various reasons, but there are just a couple of minor things (like this problem) that are easy to fix. The other biggest complaint had to do with the feed rollers not feeding the stock through easily. I had that too, for a while, until I realized that all it takes to fix this is just to apply a light coat of Johnson's paste wax to the bed. Again, it's working fine for me now. Glad things worked out for you Jim!

curley

New User
Jim Posey
I agree I did go overboard a little.But it didn't seem to really change very much.The one hole I drilled is only Less than 1/4in.I really think it will make it work great.You was talking about this being a nice planer.I know I really like mine,I really can't complain about anything else.You mentioned having a little trouble with the feed roller,I had that one time to ,I took it apart and greased up the chain.seams like thats all I have ever did to mine.I believe I'm going to like it a lot better now. Tks, Jim:new_sleep

curley

New User
Jim Posey
Hi Mark,That is really what I've been looking for.that looks like a great setup.I'm going to study the pics.And see if I can come up with that style.lMight try to get intouch with him and get some better pics.Thanks for this alot Jim:new_sleep

curley

New User
Jim Posey
Hi Monty,I got my planer started up today afterworking on the discharge shoot a little.I'm am tickeled the way it worked.Guess what no chips.I have never had such a clean planer after planing seven red oak boards about two feet long.I'm working on a cheminey cabinet to go in the ktchen under the tv that hanging on the wall.I'm building it out of reclaimed red oak that used to be part of my pool fence .It's about 25yrs. old.It's really coming together nice.The sides and front door are resawn to about 5/16ths.thick panels with grooves routed at the joints.Should look good when finished.I'll send some pics when finished,I haven't took time to learn how to upload the pics yet.Thannks for the help.I got a good idea from Tarhead to, He directed me to another forum where a person had rebuilt his discharge shoot and it's about 3in. wide.I believe it was on woodnet.If I have anymore trouble I'll go that way to fix it.Thanks for your help to Tarheal.Jim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors