Delta 1 1/2 Hp Dust collector on sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonc

New User
jak
Mike
It's not a bad one.
With the $100 S/H that brings you to about $300,which is pretty much the going rate for one of these in this class.
Although many others come with a much better bag than the 30 micron one that comes here.30 microns is not so great.

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hi,
I have this DC, although I got it used from CL. That is the best price I have ever seen on it (although I didn't know about the shipping charge.. .that seems excessive to me though). I would make two recomendations first, toss the filter bag that comes with it and buy either the 1micron filter bag or the canister filter. The one micron filter is $100 or so from Amazon (in case anyone is interested I have one listed for sale on the Buy/sell forum). The canister filter is significantly more expensive (unless you find it on sale or on Ebay). Canisters offer significantly more filter volume (due to the pleated filters in the canisters) and air moves more freely through the filters. You could also purchase one from http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm to save some money. Second go for some type of remote to turn it on and off. Makes it much more convenient to use.

I have been very happy with mine, it does a nice job removing the dust especially with the better filters. I placed my DC near the entrance of my garage/shop and I aim a fan at it to blow any of the micro-dust particles out side. Here is some really great information about dust collection http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/DustCollectionBasics.cfm

I hope that helps.

Mark

mburke911

New User
Mark
Mike,
The size of the motor and impellar determines how much air is moved. Most equipment now tells us how much air is "recommended" to collect the dust. Basically the more air you move near the source of the dust the better capture there will be of the micro-dust particles. I purchased the 1 1/2 because I got a really good deal on it. I personally would not go below 1 1/2 hp even if I could keep the DC out of my shop. If you can keep it out of the shop, or even vent it out of the shop you can get away with a lower quality filter, but the amount of air moved is limited by the motor / impeller size the size of the tubing and the distance the source is from the motor. Another factor is the type of tubing you use. If you use PVC piping vs. the flex tubing there is more resistance in the tubing compared with the smooth inner surface of the PVC piping.

This is my understanding, I am by no means an expert on DC. I have done a bunch of reading to make sure I get what I need (or can afford) the first time around. I do also use a separate air cleaner with a 0.5 micron filter similar to http://www.amazon.com/JET-708620B-Filtration-Electrostatic-Pre-Filter/dp/B00004R9LO/ref=sr_1_3/102-5738135-9539326?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1181672805&sr=8-3 and I always wear a HEPA respirator when I work.

It is worth mentioning at this point that I am a bad asthmatic and dust in general doesn't agree with me. I take keeping the air I breath clean very seriously. So my solutions might be overkill for some.

Mark

mburke911

New User
Mark
Mike,
I understand! I went with what I did because of the cost of the other solutions. If you look at CL and EBay you might be able to find a decent DC or filter for a great price. That's what I did which is why I am selling that 1 micron filter bag... I found a great deal on the canister filter. Bill's site made me more conscious of the issue surrounding micro dust particles and that I needed to be way more careful. So I purchased the DC I could afford and the upgraded filter. Then I setup my shop so I can blow any of the micro particles outside. When possible I will push the whole unit outside and run some extra tubing to my tools. That is the best I can do for the moment. So far that has done wonders to keeping my garage / shop free of the visible particles. I have to assume that I am also reducing the microparticles as well.

Take care.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS