Delamination of General Finishes ? HELP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
I am applying General Finishes: Seal-A-Cell followed by Topcoat Oil & Ureathane, sanding between coats with 0-0-0-0 steel wool. When sanding I have found that the previous Topcoats and Seal-A-Cell are delaminating down to the bare wood. I have used GF for years with no problems following the same process. What in the world is going on?:help:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about your problems. Not sure I can help figure this out, but let me ask a few questions that might help pinpoint this:
- What species of wood are you finishing?
- How old are the finishes? Is it a fresh can or leftover from another project?
- Where did you apply the finish? Hot and humid garage or air-conditioned shop?
- What was the drying time between the Seal-A-Cell and topcoat?

Travis

New User
Travis
Thanks for the response.

What species of wood are you finishing? Black Wallnut
- How old are the finishes? Is it a fresh can or leftover from another project? Yes it was left over, 2 years on the Seal -A-Cell
- Where did you apply the finish? Hot and humid garage or air-conditioned shop? Air conditioned shop.
- What was the drying time between the Seal-A-Cell and topcoat? About a day.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
It sounds like one or both finishes have sat on the shelf too long. Was the walnut virgin wood or did it have any prior finish? If it had a prior finish, what did you do to remove that finish?

What is the specific General Finishes product do you mean by "Topcoat Oil & Ureathane"?

A final note. Steel wool is poor way to do between coat sanding. Flexible abrasives like steel wool or non-woven pads do not flatten the surface. Rather they will ride up and down over the uneven surfaces never making them flat. Between coat sanding of flat surfaces should be done with 320 sandpaper mounted on a flat, felt or rubber surfaced sanding block.

I would like to see the answers to the above questions before I suggest the next step. You could probably get started by using a chemical paint stripper containing methylene chloride and removing the existing finishes.

Travis

New User
Travis
Thanks it was Topcoat Oil & Urethane and virgin wood but I that the mystery might be solved. I was having my 16 year old Daughter help me and this occurred ONLY on the pieces that she was applying. I noted she was laying on thick and had her to back off a bit.

Do you think it just kind dissolved into the previous layers and not had enough time to cure all the way trough due to the extra thickness of the last layer.

I had heard that 0-0-0-0 steel wool was a good way to finish between coats. I will go back to sand paper with flat surface for the final coats for the last coats.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>>>> Do you think it just kind dissolved into the previous layers and not had enough time to cure all the way trough due to the extra thickness of the last layer.

That may be it. I suggest you use a chemical paint remover containing methylene chloride and remove all the existing finish. Then start over with your Seal A Cell. Be sure to let it fully dry before applying your top coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS