Deck Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I need to replace my 12' x 12' deck in Cary pretty quickly. We're selling our house. The quotes are all over the place. My confidence level is low in the people who have provided quotes so far.

1. Can you recommend someone to do the work?

2. Where should we get the PT lumber?

Since I have to get a permit and meet current codes, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we have to pour new footings, even to replace the deck with an identical deck. Maybe I'll tear it out and put in a patio.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I had a similar situation when I was selling my house in NJ. My deck was 10'x18' and was contractor grade PT. It looked pretty bad and power washing wouldn't help. My neighbor suggested flipping the deck boards and do a semisolid stain to tie the deck and railings together.

It was a fairly simple process and it turned out great. Sweat work but it paid off.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
So you're going to be moving to a new enclosed wood shop with other amenities as an added bonus?

For starters find out the current codes in Cary for replacing the existing deck and/or concrete footings. That's at least a basis to build on.

The quotes are all over the place. My confidence level is low in the people who have provided quotes so far.

Maybe you've got a handful of deck building wannabes with marginal expertise. :icon_scra Are they all quoting the same materials (all PT is not created equal)?

If you get a few reasonable quotes you could consider doing nothing but providing an "allowance" to potential buyers for deck repair/replacement, etc. Maybe they'd rather have a composite deck instead of PT or they may prefer overseeing the new job themselves with their contractors.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I need to replace my 12' x 12' deck in Cary pretty quickly. We're selling our house. The quotes are all over the place. My confidence level is low in the people who have provided quotes so far.

Pricing all over the place is typical. Some contractors will have a set price, feel they are making a fair living, have enough for gas in the 20 year old truck and a beer at the end of the day and be happy. Others don't want to mess with small jobs (a 12x12 deck is a small job for many contractors) so they'll price it such a way that if they do get the job, they make their payment on the "2016 Ford OH DEAR GOD it costs more than my first house" for 2 months and take the wife to Angus Barn for a week.

Most are going to get the lumber from Lowes/HD or Stock. Unless they are breaking down the costs and a detailed job specification, it's hard to compare them. If the bids say "12x12 deck" and a price, what are you getting with the deck?

Is it the realtor telling you to replace the deck? Or did you have an inspection telling you to replace the deck? Or did the appraisal say it had to be replaced? The market is so hot right now in some areas, even houses with issues are selling in 48 hours (trust me, I've got a buyer we had very hard time finding a house, they'd be under contract before we could get in to see them)

bluedawg76

New User
Sam

1. Can you recommend someone to do the work?

2. Where should we get the PT lumber?

Since I have to get a permit and meet current codes, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we have to pour new footings, even to replace the deck with an identical deck. Maybe I'll tear it out and put in a patio.

I'd talk to your realtor about a good contractor. they likely have someone they trust who is not the cheapest, but does good work. Contractor will get the permits, not you. Also, since it's via your realtor, you could hold off on the work and have the quote handy for negotiations once you're under contract. FWIW, we're selling our house and having to replace the posts (and of course pour new footers), but our posts are rotted. Joists,ledger, etc. are all fine. Why replace the whole thing?

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I'd talk to your realtor about a good contractor. they likely have someone they trust who is not the cheapest, but does good work. Contractor will get the permits, not you. Also, since it's via your realtor, you could hold off on the work and have the quote handy for negotiations once you're under contract. FWIW, we're selling our house and having to replace the posts (and of course pour new footers), but our posts are rotted. Joists,ledger, etc. are all fine. Why replace the whole thing?
Our whole deck is rotted. It's 28 years old and was not properly maintained. We're going to look into the cost of replacing the deck with a patio.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Our whole deck is rotted. It's 28 years old and was not properly maintained. We're going to look into the cost of replacing the deck with a patio.

Be interested to see how the patio quotes come back, I've had a few instances where the cost of a patio was pretty high too. And just remember everything in Cary costs more :)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
If you get a few reasonable quotes you could consider doing nothing but providing an "allowance" to potential buyers for deck repair/replacement, etc. Maybe they'd rather have a composite deck instead of PT or they may prefer overseeing the new job themselves with their contractors.

Your new patio is nice but we really want a nice deck or enclosed sunroom. Adios Mike!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I rebuilt my deck in Cary a bunch of years back. Mind you I did not tear it totally down. I replaced the decking boards. one post and repaired a split stringer. I was told I did not have to pull a permit since I was not changing the footprint. If they require a permit now it is just to collect the fee (deck replacement tax). My neighbor and I did it in a weekend. The lumber came from Lowes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS