Dealing with Graingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
If you don't have an account with Graingers or are not a business, is there any easy way to get stuff from them? During my one previous trip to a Graingers store they wouldn't sell to me since I don't have a business.

Their web site says:

"Please be advised that Grainger is a wholesaler, not a consumer retailer. As such, we sell to other businesses. If you are a new customer to Grainger, you may be asked to provide business identification (U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), copy of business license, etc.) before we ship your first order."

Any easy way around this?

(I may need to get some electric motor bearings from Graingers if I can't find the bearings locally.)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
When I could buy from Graingers several years ago, I wasn't impressed enough with their pricing that I chose to continue the relationship. Now that I am in the midst of starting a new business, I can't see myself going back, unless things have changed rather significantly.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
You can go to the irs web site, fill out the form and get the magic number right away. Trouble is that you have an extra form each year declaring nop activity on the "business". But that little number does open some doors for better prices!
Short of that I'll secon McMasters. You may also check out MSC (msc-direct.com). I have bought a fair amount from them, extremely fast shipping, no minimal amount ordering, very good customer service.
Enco (use-enco.com) is another possibility, have bought from them also. Tend to have cheaper stuff.

Cheers,
Bernhard

T

toolferone

Well I am lucky that my brother has an account there, because he owns a business. I also like McMaster-Carr, but somethimes you can't wait. Try and see if you have a really good relationship with a business that has an account there that they will let you use, but still pay Graingers cash. I have done that before too.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Yea! I found the bearings locally and avoided the Graingers hassle, though they cost me a bit more. Thanks guys. I would have gone with McMasters Carr, but was too impatient and want to get the shaper back together and out of the middle of my shop floor where it is sitting upside down.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
As a sole proprieter, you can either use a Federal tax ID #, or your social security # as your federal tax id #. I have been in business for over thiry years, part time and full time, and always used my SS#. Here in NC, we don't require a business license for all trades yet. Just give them time and all will have to buy some kind of license. I have an open account with Grainger, which I never filled out an application. Sent a friend over to pick up a blower for a fan coil. The counterman asked if he wanted to charge it or pay for it. He said "Charge IT!, so I now have an account.

woodrat

New User
Archie
You might also check out MOTION CONTROL. They deal with a lot of
different bearings and can get what you need over night if they don't
have what you need in stock in Raleigh. Also stock lots of gears, pulleys,
belts. If it pertains to "motion" they most likely have it or can get it quickly.

James McGraw is another source in Raleigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors