Dead Poplar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
Hey all, I have a Poplar tree in my front yard that has died. Does anyone know of somebody that will remove the tree in exchange for the wood. Tree is about 30' tall and about 8'-10' in circumference. Close to porch and street. We live in Winston Salem. Any help would be appreciated.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
That tree is a bit small to have any lumber value, and poplar is not high value in any case. I doubt that anyone would accept that sort of exchange, though you may find some firewood seeker that would give it a go. I would be wary of this, though, as you may be assuming some risk you did not expect. I would recommend just biting the bullet and hiring a competent, insured tree company. I use a company in Raleigh and W-S is a bit out of their range so hopefully others will chime in with recommendations.

Good luck

-G

ehpoole

Ethan
Also keep in mind that Poplar trees are notorious for rotting from the center out, odds are good that there is a lot less usable wood than you may think.

We recently removed all the Poplar trees from our property (to reduce risk of damage, we only have a 1/2 acre lot) and *all* of the larger trees had substantial interior rotting. For the most part, the only real usable wood (esp. from a woodworking perspective) would have come from the limbs rather than the trunk.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Also keep in mind that Poplar trees are notorious for rotting from the center out, odds are good that there is a lot less usable wood than you may think.

We recently removed all the Poplar trees from our property (to reduce risk of damage, we only have a 1/2 acre lot) and *all* of the larger trees had substantial interior rotting. For the most part, the only real usable wood (esp. from a woodworking perspective) would have come from the limbs rather than the trunk.

It is my understanding that even if the limbs are really big, they don't work well for woodworking due to the fact that they don't grow straight up. This causes a lot of internal stress in the wood and it won't be very stable. I believe it is called reaction wood.

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors