Dead or desirable? Non-functional DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
My Delta 1hp DC seems to have coughed it's last.

After a few weeks of whiny noises when it spun down, it now refuses to spin up. It's only an AP400, but I threw the money into it to upgrade to the 5micron bag. My thought is that the impeller and bag might be worth $40 to someone, but wanted to run it up the flagpole here before wasting time on Craigslist.

Anyone? It's currently occupying space in North Raleigh.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Kerry, I am sure someone here will take you up on the impeller and bags for that price. If I had room I may even take you up on it.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Nobody wants your junk dude...quit trying to get other people to clean your garage for you :p

P.S. you finish beveling those pieces yet?

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
Actually, Junquecol prompted me to tear it apart and I think I'll replace the bearings and pawn it off in working order. It's been at least two months since I've rehabilitated a shop motor. Guess I'll post pics on the rehab project instead.

P.S. you finish beveling those pieces yet?

Yes, they're beveled.. 3hrs of tedium and a sore back to show for it. 28 puzzles x 14 pieces x 12 edges.. reminds me just how nuts you are to do this for a living.

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
Well, I was halfway through a project when it died, so I stopped off at HarborFreight and picked up their '2hp' model. Works like a champ, though I need to get a Wynn filter on it. Fixing this is just a way to turn a chunk of metal into something useful again, for the $8 in parts and shipping.

MT native

New User
Jane
Kerry,
What size is the impeller. I happen to be looking for parts for a compact dust collector I want to build and your parts may work perfectly for me.
Jane

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
I've decided to rehab it and post the (hopefully) functional result on the classified section when I'm done. If it doesn't work out, I'll definitely get ahold of you.

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
I think I found the culprit:

bad_cap.jpg

MT native

New User
Jane
Kerry,

Thanks for the thought. I couldn't wait to find parts as I have work I need to produce so I went ahead and purchased a Delta 50-760. Good luck with your rehab.
Jane

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
The replacement (correct) cap was $15 from Grainger, but was significantly larger than the original cap. They'd used a smaller start capacitor in a run configuration, which lasted just long enough to fulfill the warranty.

To get things back together I had to replace the box with a 6"x6" electrical box from the BORG. Works well now though, plus I don't have to worry about the switch dying.
fixed_dc.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great Frankenstein fix! Not bad for $15 and a few electrical components :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS